What cutoff blade for my phase II AXA tool holder.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

737mechanic

What cutoff blade for my phase II AXA tool holder.

Post by 737mechanic »

I just got a phase II AXA tool holder and after looking on enco's website they list tons of cutoff blades so now I am lost as to what I should get. What are all these industry standard numbers and what do you guys recommend for a cutoff blade.

The holder holds 1/2 in. blades.
Leroyt

Post by Leroyt »

I use the "T" type listed here. Set the blade heigth to center and your good to go.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPA ... M=397-7032
Leroy.................
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I slide a strip of brass shim stock between the tool holder and the lower portion of the blade to compensate for the "T" and square ithe blade up vertically. 'Cause I'm too lazy to do it properly and move my vise to relieve the upper area of the tool holder groove.

Edit: (Another) Typo
Last edited by GlennW on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

I had to do the same with mine, but I am using a .040" wide blade I bought from littlemachineshop.com
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

I like the shim idea! I guess messure the top and bottom of blade and devide by half and go look in my feeler gage set. For wedge type blades I guess you could messure top and half way up and cut the feeler to half the blade height.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Black_Moons wrote:I like the shim idea! I guess messure the top and bottom of blade and devide by half and go look in my feeler gage set.
Or thicker!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

I have an Aloris cutoff holder, and it has an angled slot to accommodate the T-blade nicely.

But, my Chinese holder didn't so I simply milled a relief groove:

Here they are together:

Cheers,

Frank Ford
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Thanks for the tip , Frank . I did same thing to my holder after seeing your post in the subject some time ago . Works great ! 737 mechanic On the Craftsman and the Jet 14 x40 I just use HSS . I always touch them up w/ a stone , medium then fine , before using . Being square to the part is critical , sometimes I will use a test indicator to make sure everything is up to snuff . Maybe I'm just lucky , but not had to many problems parting off. Larger diam , as in 2.5 on up some times tends to go convex by a thou. or so , I think it might be due to the edge on the blade not being right on the money to sq. Got the magnifying glass out the last time and it seemed to help . Maybe I'm a little anal about this but once the blade whizzs by your head or the Craftsman slips belts , you try to get everything right . Parted off a piece of 2.750 Al the other day , 230 rpm and .0016 feed and used the power feed , very smooth cut.
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I use the "T" type blades in my AXA holder.

I have found the .077 wide "T" blades work very well in my
13" JET lathe. Narrower blades like .062 snap off after going so deep.
Wider blades seem to chatter then snap off.

Been using the same .077 wide blade for for well over five years. I do not remember where I got the blade.

Anyone else experience this??

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Regarding parallelism when parting...

For all but the deepest parting (beyond 1/2" max DOC before separation) I just use the thin leg of a machinists square placed on the face of my chuck. I then put the parting tool *blade* against the opposite (parallel) side of the leg and then lock the tool post. One last verification that it is parallel (no wiggle in the square pinched lightly between) and I'm off and parting. Fast and easy...

If the DOC is approaching or exceeding (depending on material) I actually dial it in to be sure. But for both my HSS parting and my inserted Sandvik parting tool, the parallel works well for most all my needs and I've not yet seen a problem.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

"Relief groove"?

Uh oh.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

Hey, you just bought a mill. Now you have a use for it :lol: