Turning with a Boring Head and Integral Shank

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Left hand boring bars seem to be VERY scarce. Do you know of a source?

So far, the only things I have found are custom made to order or so expensive that buying the boring head assembly with integral shank would be relatively inexpensive.

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I wrote too soon and searched too shallow!

MSC appears to have left hand boring bars.

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You may have missed this a few posts back. (you were in the pool)
Glenn Wegman wrote:Here is an example.

Not necessarily a suggestion!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-Left-Hand-Borin ... 7C294%3A50
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

Yes, I DID miss it!

However, no joy. I just tried to get it at the "But it now" price but apparently I have a PayPal account that is screwed up.

Thank you very much for pointing it out to me, again.

--Bill
You are what you write.
TomB

Post by TomB »

About 18 months ago I had to cut 8 L shaped brackets out of ¼” plate. Each was about 6” by 18” by 2” wide with a 1” radius fillet on both ends. I have a 1.5” shell mill and rotary table. I milled the fillets by mounting the L brackets to the rotary table then turning the brackets against the mill. It worked well and I’m sure the technique could be used to mill a pin. Although my parts did not need to be precise the half circles came out tangent on both sides as close as my finger could tell. I did not take big cuts and instead creep up on the finished fillet but that technique would also work when milling a pin.

Tom B
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Tom B--

I HAVE thought of using my rotary table. But, I only need to "turn" two pieces. (Of course, by the time I screw it up enough, I probably could have justified using the 10" H/V!)

Thank you for letting me know that it CAN be done.

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

[quote="Glenn Wegman"]Image

Bill,

Saw one of your recent posts stating you are unable to find HSS Boring bars. The above steel shank bars are 3/4", so finding them in HSS would be a little tough.

To solve that I also use HSS inserts available from AR Warner in those bars as they are a common configuration. Gives me the option of grinding bevels or odd radii on them.

The bar I pointed you to on eBay would also accept AR Warner HSS inserts which are usually more expensive than carbide or Cermet inserts, but if you want HSS........ Something to consider.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

You know I am inexperienced and often do not use the correct vocabulary. What I need are bars that have HSS cutters. I want to use them on brass, bronze, and aluminum.

I have a good 3/4" boring head assembly with an R8 arbor. I have a good 1/2" boring head assembly with an integral R8 shank. I have a not-so-good 3/8" boring head assembly with an R8 arbor. (The dial is pretty much useless, but I make use of the tool using plug gages.)

I have a LOT of 3/4" bars, none with HSS cutters. I have ONE left handed 1/2" carbide bar (bought for my brass, bronze reverse-boring-for-the-steam-engine project). And, I have three who-knows-what-they-are bars for the 3/8" boring head. (But, they work well in aluminum.)

What I would LOVE to find are some 3/4" boring bars with HSS cutters. In my mind, I could then quit worrying so much about interrupted cuts. I would go with indexible tooling, if I could find the HSS inserts. Therefore, I am going to look up AR Warner and see what they have available and I thank you for the link and remembering my need.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

AR Warner obviously has the HSS bits I need. I wonder where--other than e-bay--I might find 3/4" diameter index boring bars? (Or even 1/2"?)

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You can get HSS inserts for insert boring bars. See Glen's post.

Page 228 of Enco catelog, notice HSS boring bars and Criterion bars.

Go back one page to 227. Notice moring HSS boring bars. Note that these are cheap enough to cut to length as desired. I've bought several to make convenient cutters for my slotter. Also note more criterion bars.

Go through pages before and after. Many options.

222 covers the Everede bars that use special (proprietary $$) HSS bits.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Another way of making a boring bar. Save the 1/8" solid Carbide drill shanks, after breaking the drill. Take a piece of whatever stock is appropriate, ream a hole .124", sharpen the Carbide to desired shape, and press into the hole. The hole angle can be chosen to present a tip good for flat bottom boring.

I can make a Carbide tipped boring bar in a few minutes. Granted, I have no idea of the Carbide grade, but they work fine for the stuff I do.

The top part is a broken solid Carbide drill.
Next is a sharpened point, side view.
Last is a 3/8" bar, with a Carbide threading tip.
Attachments
Home Brew Boring Bar
Home Brew Boring Bar
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Oh, perhaps you are looking for these!

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PM ... T4TP=*LTIP

It's Page 512 of the MSC Catalog if this does not work.
Glenn