I want to Make this..

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mike71

I want to Make this..

Post by mike71 »

I want to make this, so I can turn balls and or curved parts...

I think I can just look at It and build it but if anyone here has any ideas or opinions please let me hear them...
Attachments
GetAttachmentCAILNPU5.jpg
mike71

Post by mike71 »

In use.
Attachments
DSC04430.jpg
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I like your design. Looks more rigid than the one I made and your radius adjustment is better.

The one I made.

I made it 10 years ago and have only used it twice.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
david5605

Post by david5605 »

Here you go...
http://www.projectsinmetal.com/free-met ... athe-mill/

There is a link to the plans a couple of lines after the video.
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

How did you make the C's? they kinda appear to be one chunk of metal.
mike71

Post by mike71 »

Thanks for the link, its now saved, I gots new reading now.
Lykle

over the top ball turner

Post by Lykle »

I just designed this puppy after seeing a version of this in a kit.

It basically is a boring head on it's side with a handle to rotate.
I made some stops, so that the movement is repeatable.
In this case I used a round indexable bit, but designed a triangular holder as well.

My tool post is the black thing, I use a cylinder of 1,5 inch as a tool post and all my tool holders are just chucks of Alu with a hole in em.

I am building this this as we "speak"
Attachments
ball turner2.jpg
ball turner.jpg
Lykle
Designing for the fun of it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Not to throw rocks, but the other two designs use the center pivot and the distnace to the cutter, to determine the radias of the ball. ( sphere shape).
I dont see where your tool will have such repeatability.

I have used the C shaped former before, and it is slick. Feeding in from the tailstock alows succesive cuts to fully form the ball front. Carriage past to the stem and work the backside until the tool meets the center axis and you are done. Or, doing the base, and reducing the front to a repeatable dimension to a stop works too.

I never thought to make such a tank turret tool, that would work the same way. What is the drawback of such a small turret? When I became aquanted with the ball former, our shop had 2 sizes.

Since we made bolts, the tool guys were always making pan head tools, with this tool cutting concave forming dies, of infinit sizes and radii.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Oohh, Duh, I had it 90 off in my mind. I came back looked again, and it is clear now. Thanks.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

I am in the process of finishing my own tool based on the first concept but of my own design.

As soon as finish it I will posting a link for the pictures.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa