Oil burner

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

accroul

Post by accroul »

I dont know if this question has been answered or not.
This is my burner
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/for ... php?t=3057
and as you can see I got it to work :D this is what I use to fire my furnace all the time :twisted:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very impressive!
If it was mentioned, forgive me----I looked in haste. Does that burner work with drain oil? I got the idea it does. Just want to make sure.

If so, do you filter the oil? Any issues with blockage if not?

Harold
accroul

Post by accroul »

I normally use standard WMO but I have used WVO as well :D
If the oil is really dirty then I put it through a kitchen sieve or coffee percolator strainer.
The lateist thing to the collection is this pump and filter. The pump is from an old boat sink and the filter is a standard car one :roll: I used a bath drain for the seat and the thread to hold it was from the car engine.
It sits on top of the oil drum so I can pump it straight into the fuel tank :D
reginald smith

oil burners

Post by reginald smith »

I built my furnace several years ago. It is lined with brick & refactory cement.It is fired by a oil burner from a furnace.I can melt about 30 lbs of aluminum which is my main metal. have done some brass. Will post a picture when weather is warmer as it is stored right now.Furnace has worked well & not bad on fuel. I use regular furnace oil,but used sounds like a good idea.
JHenriksen

Post by JHenriksen »

The recent thread ' New toy" has a few postings about oil burners and what needs to be done with them.
Look at the manuals for these furnaces, they may help explain what needs to be done. There should be some exploded views of the burner and nozzels too.
http://www.cleanburn.com/products/produ ... gory_id=13
Bellien

Re: Oil burner

Post by Bellien »

I had very good luck with a burner modded after the flame cans on turbines. It was just a tube within a tube.

Air and fuel where blown into the inner tube which was drilled full of holes. the outer tube was sealed except for a 2" piece of black nipple where the flame would jet out. it would burn glycerin, WVO/WMO, propane... It even melted metal with hot bacon fat.

this is it in it's later life as a forge burner.