Hank VS Frozen MT3 Taper Arbor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Hank.W.E

Hank VS Frozen MT3 Taper Arbor

Post by Hank.W.E » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:39 am

Hank won, but it was one heck of a fight. In the end, victory came once it was decided to scrap the taper arbor.

I included a picture to show how I got that sucker out. A 5/8 18tpi die and some bearing seperators.

Needless to say, a lesson was learned about overtightening the drawbar!
Attachments
Josh 21 days 051.JPG

spro

victory

Post by spro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 pm

I had to log on to see the pic. Yeh that was difficult to machine the taper in place and then run the die up. Perhaps the size you chose will be useful for a chuck or slitting wheel. I think some trace of cosmolene sometimes will seize. What you did was very good in my opinion. Beating the hell out of your quill and stuff would bite you later. Good post.

dly31

Post by dly31 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Good thinking on your method.

Don Young

Hank.W.E

Post by Hank.W.E » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 am

thanks for the replies. I thought this method was good, and I wish it was the first thing I tried. Sometimes I get a good idea after hours of trying out bad ones. Truth be told, I worked on getting this taper out for hours and hours.

gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:14 am

Hank,
I don't know what kind of machine you had the stubborn MT arbor stuck in or what size it was. I use MT devices in both my mill and lathe and quite frequently, especially with MT collets, they're tough to pop out, even when the drawbar hasn't been overly tightened. I don't believe pounding on the headstock/spindle with a hammer is good for the spindle bearings on any machine, the solution most recommended. I fabricated 'pushers' for both my machines that reverse the action of the drawbar, so instead of pulling it pushes. Made from easily obtained pipe fittings. If anyone's interested, I'll be glad to post pictures.

atty

Post by atty » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:38 am

I don't believe pounding on the headstock/spindle with a hammer is good for the spindle bearings on any machine...
I've always felt that way, but was told that was the way it is done. There just has to be a better way to skin that cat.

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:19 pm

A power draw-bar will avoid ponding but not available for all designs.

In 45+ years of working with machines I've never heard anything negative on removing the adapters with a rawhide, dead-blow or brass hammers.

A good practice is to never leave an adapter under tension when not in use.

I always remove mine at completion.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

Hank.W.E

Post by Hank.W.E » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 pm

gunboatbay wrote:Hank,
I don't know what kind of machine you had the stubborn MT arbor stuck in or what size it was. I use MT devices in both my mill and lathe and quite frequently, especially with MT collets, they're tough to pop out, even when the drawbar hasn't been overly tightened. I don't believe pounding on the headstock/spindle with a hammer is good for the spindle bearings on any machine, the solution most recommended. I fabricated 'pushers' for both my machines that reverse the action of the drawbar, so instead of pulling it pushes. Made from easily obtained pipe fittings. If anyone's interested, I'll be glad to post pictures.

This sounds like a good idea.

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Pictures will be very welcome !!
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:19 am

I like to use MT collets in both my lathe and X2 mill. In the lathe they easily, accurately and rigidly hold small workpieces and allow me to work close to the headstock. In the mill they extend the somewhat limited Z axis travel of this small mill. However, their shortcoming is that they can be stubborn to release at times. I consider pounding on the spindle of either machine, with a hammer/mallet to be a form of machine abuse, so I've made 'pushers' for both machines. The outboard end of the spindle on my lathe is threaded M27-1.5:
Attachments
spindle.jpg

gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:24 am

I obtained a 1” iron pipe plug at Home Depot, bored the cavity and threaded it also M27-1.5. I then center-drilled and tapped it 1/2x13:
Attachments
Pipe plug 2.JPG

gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:27 am

The pusher rod is a piece of 1/2x13 threaded rod with a brass button fastened to the end to prevent damage to the MT device I’m pushing:
Attachments
Pusher rod.JPG