drill dr. or darex?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tony

drill dr. or darex?

Post by tony »

want to buy a drill sharpener i need one that is a no brainer..
need help THANKS TONY
gglines

Re: drill dr. or darex?

Post by gglines »

Try www.darex.com. They have a little "sharpener selection" application on their website that asks you questions about your intended useage and then recommends one of their models.

George
doug925

Post by doug925 »

Tony, I have a a Darex M5d drill sharpener, and an E90 mill sharpener w/ raduis attachment. I think they are GREAT! The cost is a little high for a home user, (well, very high) but for a machine shop they are the [email]sh@#[/email] !! I originally purchased a Drill Doctor from Home Depot. Not very freindly, and certainly not consistant. i gave mine to a freind who wanted something for a home sharpener. I am pretty sure that I have already paid for the two peices of equipmentin 1 yr, just in the saving of resharpening. Check EBAY for the M5d's. I saw one for $225 the other day. (that is a kick in the teeth, considering I paid $1500 for mine) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Herm Williams

Post by Herm Williams »

Hello
You might try a used Black Diamond drill grinder I purchased one for two fifty a few years ago and it works great.
My.02 worth
Herm Williams
hermwill@cox.net
LEW_BEST

Post by LEW_BEST »

Hi

If you go with Black Diamond be sure all the collets & adapter tubes are included (assuming you buy used). The collets are proprietary (no one else makes them) and cost about $170 each. Fortunately mine had one (of 2) included so I used it as a pattern for making the other one. Tubes (so the 2 collets will take smaller bits) are about $17 each from BD. Still have some of them to make!

Lew Best in Waco, TX
ChetR

Post by ChetR »

I bought the top Drill Doctor that includes the two chucks and larger diamond wheel from Enco for about $129.

I watched the training video that's included with the package and then sharpened a few of my drills. The system works beautifully!

There's been some negative comments about the Drill Doctor, but that certainly has not been my experience.

Do watch the video, I think you'll be delighted with the results.

Chet
John in OH

Post by John in OH »

I don't think that you can fairly compare a Drill Dr. to a Darex as I don't belive that they are targeted to the same market. I have a Drill Dr. that I paid $135 for and it will sharpen bits up to 3/4". Works great for me and my limited home shop needs - maybe I sharpen a bit once or twice a month. I'm quite pleased with the Drill Dr.; however, if I were a commercial shop, it would probably not hold up to heavy use and the demands that would be placed on it. So, if you need it for home use, save a pile of $$ and go with the Drill Dr. If you need it for a business, maybe the Darex is the way to go. Or, I guess that if you wanted to gamble $135, then get a Drill Dr. and see how long it would hold up in your particular shop environment.
mhubler

Post by mhubler »

I bought mine several years ago, when it was made by Darex. The early ones had a few problems with the drill holders, but the Factory Service department was great. I was having problems getting sharpener to work right and Drill Doctor sent me a new sharpener and an extra grinding wheel for FREE. I use it for all my drills up to 3/4".

Another option is the Lisle drill sharpener. It is not as easy to use as the Driil Doctor, but will sharpen larger bits and has a larger number of drill angles available. They are rather pricy, but I have seen a few on Ebay.
Sam_E

Post by Sam_E »

So, [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/mad.gif"%20alt="[/img]how did drills get re-sharpen before the drill doctor or other such devices? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
doug925

Post by doug925 »

We sharpened them by hand. I am not nere as good as some though. The sharpener I own will allow even the newbie to sharpen most of our drills with any point that we may need. prior to that only some of the more experieced guys could do it, and do it rught.
Sam_E

Post by Sam_E »

Yep, you're right, did it by hand. The point is sharpening drill is a skill that should be acquired and developed. Drill sharpening by hand is just as important reading a mic or making the perfect cut.

The truth is, on small drills, I use a Dill Dr. but on larger drills I "try" sharpening by hand.

Sam
tony

Re: drill dr. or darex? part 2

Post by tony »

got drill dr.. for early fathers day present see the viedo works fine.!!!

thanks for everybody for your .02cents worth

tony