Bolsterman Introduces Self

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bolsterman

Bolsterman Introduces Self

Post by Bolsterman »

Greetings, home machinists. I've joined your forum after seeing it "advertised" (of sorts) at Practical Machinist, where the word is, "If you have an Asian machine, don't ask, don't tell." I'm receiving a Sieg X3 (A Grizzly G0463) on Monday. It will be my third metal-dedicated machine, after a belt grinder and an oxy-acet welding unit. I do not own a lathe yet. Most my crowded home-shop is devoted to wood tools at this point but I feel a change in the wind. I really enjoy the exacting nature of working with metal.

I'm currently taking an intro machine shop class at the local Junior College and constructing a "finger engine" as a final project. I'll post up photos when it's done. Thanks for participating in this fine forum. I'll be looking to you for plenty answers in the coming months.

By the way, any other Sieg X3 or SX3 owners in Los Angeles?
JackF

Post by JackF »

Greetings Bolsterman,
I too had mostly wood working tools in my shop. Then I made friends with a machinist; that was the beginning of my metal working addiction. Started collecting metal working tools and tooling about 8 months later and haven't stopped yet after more than 4-5 years. I don't think a person ever stops collecting tools, metal or otherwise. :lol:

Jack.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Bolsterman welcome to chaski.

I think that you will be pleased with our crowd here always eager to help right away.

Consider posting on the General Discussion section.
The junk section is mostly for postings that are not typically related to machining or to any of the other sections.

Enjoy and make the best of our group.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

Jose Rivera wrote:Bolsterman welcome to chaski. I think that you will be pleased with our crowd here always eager to help right away.
Thank you JackF and Jose. Yes, I am very pleased! I've been floating around other sites, before finding this one, and have noticed a tremendous amount of off-topic chatter elsewhere. However Chaski seems to be "right on the money" with loads of relevant home shop content. Wish I would have found you folks earlier.
Jose Rivera wrote: Consider posting on the General Discussion section.
The junk section is mostly for postings that are not typically related to machining or to any of the other sections. Enjoy and make the best of our group.
Will do, Jose. I considered my self-introduction as junk (when you sign on you get an email warning you if you do not post within a certain time you'll be removed) but when I have substantive material I'll post in the GD section.

May I take a moment to say that you've already taught me a good deal, Jose. I've read many of your posts. Consider me one of your "new students."
Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

How can you possibly get an avatar down to 8 KB as required on this forum??? I can't post an avatar that small!
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Bolsterman wrote:How can you possibly get an avatar down to 8 KB as required on this forum??? I can't post an avatar that small!
Well, directly posting will give a pretty crappy look, like mine. I use IrFanView, along with others to shrink picts. I think it's more luck than anything else.

Welcome, by the way.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

If you have MS Office in you computer it has a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

I what I use to reduce, crop, etc.
For more sophisticated editing of bit maps I use Photoshop.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

Ah, there we go. It took a conversion to GIF to get it down to 5K, but as you said, it's doable! Yessir, that's a photo of yours truly...I'm a bona fide soggy bottom boy!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Are you and you friends looking at a UFO ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--------------
Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

I believe that is a shot of the "Soggy Bottom Boys" looking to see if they are being followed by bloodhounds after escaping the chain gang. From my favorite movie, "O Brother Where Art Thou." I feel a special affinity toward Delmar O'Donnell (pictured) because he is so endearingly dumb. My kinda guy.
A Bona Fide Soggy Bottom Boy