Help with a most vexing problem

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

10 Wheeler Rob

Reguarding TuroCAD

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

The version I have is Windows version 3.01 copy write 1985- 1996 by ISMI.

It will let you draw to size and print to scale or go the other way too. I all ready knew AutoCAD some so tha tmay hav ehelpped the pick up.

The thing I like best about it, other than i paid like $30 bucks retail for it is with todays printers, you get really acurate pint outs, and can even print on trasparency film for templates.

I got dial crank mills and often will put a template on top of work to show me if I turned the right number cranks turns. Saves a lot layout time and erros.

For one or two off radial bolt paterns, I jus due them on the cad and then X & Y dimesion, to save time setting up the rotary table.

For non critical shapes in sheet stock, glue a print on with wood glue, saw and sand, then soak the print and glue off in warm water.

Rob
Lodsb

Post by Lodsb »

Qcad, anyone? It's a GPL freebe for Windows, Mac & Linux. http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
Seems to work okay, but I've no other experience with other CAD systems. I've used this one to design homemade gearcutters, but that's it. I keep reaching for the scratch pads instead...
psient

Re: Help with a most vexing problem

Post by psient »

psient wrote:Hi all:

I'm moving forward with my efforts.

What I need from someone is a &%$# 2D drawing software program that will let me do what I used to do with my ruler and graph paper.

I'd like to have a software that makes the task automated to some extent.
For instance:

1. scale the drawing to the scale I specify
2. let me draw shapes and lines
3. interpolate the dimensions of each component of the drawing
4. place dimension lines, markers, and legs on the scale drawing

I know I'm missing something here. Anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Jon
Tried Autosketch 7 and was able to figure it out.

Bought an OEM version of Autosketch 9 for 70 bucks. What I wanted.

Thanks for the comments all!!!

JON
schwabw

Post by schwabw »

Try QCad. I have used it for a while now, and am very happy with it.

Bill
Sam_E

Post by Sam_E »

I would have to vote for Design CAD. Cost about a $100. I have used it for years and not to hard to learn. I have tried to learn Auto CAD and found it to be a pain. The elitist drafters will swear by Auto CAD but most of those folks have gone to school to learn Auto CAD. For a hobby shop, like mine, look at Design CAD.
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

There is Solid Edge from Siemens its free. http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/e ... ndex.shtml I have it installed but have not used it. I play with Turbocad. I agree with the comments that say CAD has a steep learning curve. Let us know what program you decide on and how you progress.