This Mornings Simple Tool

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

This Mornings Simple Tool

Post by GlennW »

I needed a decent DTI adapter for my height gauge so I whittled one from 4140HT round bar and used an old dovetail clamp that was lying around.

Not much to it at all, but functional.

I spent more time searching for one in catalogs than I did making it!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Simple and to the point, I like it.

<sigh> I gotta get my SG running. And the tracer, and, and...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rustamd

Post by rustamd »

I have a noob question, what would you use setup like that for? My only guess is that so you can "feel" when you touch surface..?

Thanks
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

It's generally used for comparing against some "master", often a gage block stack (or Master Height gage (often referred to as a "Cadillac"). Using the master, you set (usually zero) the DTI using the height gage adjust. Then you move to the object of interest. If it has the same vertical size, you get the same reading on the DTI. If not, baring cosine error, it tells you how far you are off. Better yet, use the height gage to achieve the desired reading, and you know your difference. Can also be used to check other things with creative configuration, and a surface gage can also be used similarly, but is actually even more flexible, though not able to take direct readings as can be done in vertical measure with a height gage.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

As Russ stated..

And also to check runout of a shaft in a Spindex or Punch Grinder.

I had been using a DTI on a small magnetic base stuck to a machinists block. Too much movement.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

I need to make me one !! 8) 8) 8)
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

If I'd have known that, I'd have made two at the same time!

:D

I plan on grinding an HS form tool so I can "shape" those little dove tails in the mill and make various DTI holders.
Glenn