Should I buy a Flycutter or a Facemill?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

terry_g

Post by terry_g » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:00 am

A friend gave me some used carbide inserts that still had some sharp cutting edges. I made this fly cutter for them I started out with one insert, when I added the second insert I guess it became a face mill. It works well for taking light cuts on my mid sized Taiwanese mill. It's 3" in diameter with a 3/4" shaft. There is a little adjustment with the screws that hold the inserts in place, A peice of gasket paper between the insert and the holder really helps to keep them from moving.

Terry

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:47 am

Terry--

I like it!

How is the shaft attached?

--Bill
You are what you write.

terry_g

Post by terry_g » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 am

I made it a .006" press fit and then heated the cutter head cherry red in my pellet stove set on the back of the vice and tapped the shaft in with a hammer.

Terry

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:33 am

One of the nice things you can do with that type of face mill is to make it use the OTHER edges of the C insert. Then you are getting FREE inserts, as you would otherwise be throwing them away.

That setup will not allow you to get close to an edge, however, but can be good for a complete flat surface.

Steve

Lodsb

Post by Lodsb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:59 pm

This flycutter was first used to face old 6-cylinder engine heads but later "modified" to be adjustable. The mod was to eliminate the arbor and just mount it in a 4-jaw chuck. 12 inch swing. Very handy. :D
Attachments
flycutter.jpg

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:20 pm

That is called "Shrink-fit".
In this case, "Shrink/press". (Beaten into) :D

True shrink fit is when one part is expanded with heat and the other frozen with dry-ice or liquid oxygen or nitrogen.

Then one part is dropped into the other without force.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 pm

I have a 2 in. facemill and it works very nice but after using a flycutter I never use the facemill anymore.

I thought about buying one of the import flycutter sets then I came across a guy on ebay that makes fly cutters. After looking at the price of the steel he uses to make them I soon realized it was cheaper for me to buy them from him already made than to order the 1045 steel and take the time for me to make. So I ordered a set from him and I have to say they are the best fly cutters I have seen. They work perfectly and the machining is first class.

I ordered a set of 2 but this is a set of 4. I have seen him list 2, 3 and 4 sets of flycutters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pc-NEW-Fly-Cutter ... 2ea9e0707f

Two reasons to buy from this guy: keep your money in america and help our economy and the quality is 100 times that of a import set.

Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:54 am

737mechanic wrote:So I ordered a set from him and I have to say they are the best fly cutters I have seen. They work perfectly and the machining is first class.
I'd order from him right now, if his shipping ($17) weren't almost as much as his cutters ($23)!
A Bona Fide Soggy Bottom Boy

737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Bolsterman wrote:
737mechanic wrote:So I ordered a set from him and I have to say they are the best fly cutters I have seen. They work perfectly and the machining is first class.
I'd order from him right now, if his shipping ($17) weren't almost as much as his cutters ($23)!
I know I hate that, The reason many do that now is because ebay has gone up so much on the percentage they keep that alot of people hit you with steep shipping rates so they can keep more instead of giving there money to ebay. I always factor in the shipping as total cost of anything I purchase off ebay and if shipping puts it higher than I want to pay than I don't buy it.

metlcutr55

Post by metlcutr55 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:45 pm

http://www.lovejoytool.com/ets/offers.c ... UserId=470

this works great on my 3 hp bridgeport clone, inserts pricey, but they have 8 edges. i keep a couple inserts around with dinked off corners to hold balance if i want to single point a surface.

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:30 pm

terry_g wrote:I made it a .006" press fit and then heated the cutter head cherry red in my pellet stove set on the back of the vice and tapped the shaft in with a hammer.
Terry
Jose Rivera wrote:That is called "Shrink-fit".
In this case, "Shrink/press". (Beaten into) :D
That's called "forging" :shock:

:D
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Bolsterman wrote:I'd order from him right now, if his shipping ($17) weren't almost as much as his cutters ($23)!
I would be very tempted to email and ask if he would ship USPS flat rate box, for $4.80 you should be able to get a lot of stuff in the box. If he still wants $17, it's a ripoff.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.