Needed an odd cutter...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

GlennW

Needed an odd cutter...

Post by GlennW » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Doing a job that calls for a .030" radius chamfer on a .1875" hole. Thought about it a little last night and decided to just try grinding a piloted tool and see what happens.

This morning, set up the radius/angle dresser and dressed a .030" radius on the corner of a wheel.

Then grabbed an old end mill and ground the pilot diameter on the end of it using the Spin Indexer. Next I noodled around with the Spin Indexer and figured out a way to put relief on the flutes. Took a small aluminum block and drilled a .188 hole in it and stuck it on the end of the tool and turned it and it sort of cut. Noodled around with relief a little more and tried it and it cut nice curly chips. :shock:

Here's what I ended up with.

The part needed to be ground first, then the holes chamfered. Here is the part still on the grinding mandrel after grinding. The tool cut nice curly chips and the part is 35RC steel.

Last step is to the old lathe for micropolishing which rounds off the edges a tiny bit more and gives the surface a really wizzy finish.

Just like new and put new life into an old end mill! :D
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Well done, Glenn.

Harold

DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 am

Very cool stuff Glenn. I always enjoy your posts & pictures. They show how to do quality work using what you have on hand.:)

Now, what is the part you're working on? Looks like an auto crankshaft main journal without the other bits attached??;)
Milton in Tennessee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."