Conner Beam Engine

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

paulj84003

Conner Beam Engine

Post by paulj84003 »

Today I ran my Beam engine on air for the first time. Tomorrow I will machine the fittings to hook up the mechanical oiler that I made last week. then on to the boiler. I attached a couple of photos. Paul J
Attachments
lub2.jpg
air2.jpg
air1.jpg
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Way cool!

Any chance you can give us some details?

Harold
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Those are one of the most interesting locomotives to watch either stationary or running, in my opinion. :D
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

Harold, I'm not sure what details that you would like. I am building the Loco from Conners plams for the 0-4-0. I am making a few changes, such as the cylinders are made 1 piece from 416 stainless. the slide valve boxes are recessed into the cyl's full length and Silver Soldered on. I am using a mech lubricator that I built instead of displacement lub. The lubricator is using a clutch bearing in the arm, instead off a ratchet and pawl. Paul J
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks. That was enough. I had no idea it was for an engine. I like steam really well, but know very little about locomotives. I was not familiar with the engine you're building. It makes sense now.

Harold
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I have observed several of the Conner's designed/built engines running at MSLS and in my humble opinion, it is the BEST non-scale loco engine for a newbie to build.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
bcody

BILL CONNER BEAM ENGINES

Post by bcody »

Al:

I agree with you.

I have been running a Bill Conner designed/built 4+4 Beam Engine since 2001 with excellent results. I have run a numerous tracks on the West coast from San Diego to Canada with even a detour back East to run at Mid-South.

Running at SVLSRM I have hauled a train with 11 pre-school children, 11 adults and myself with no problems. I have also run at the American Flat Railroad and Mining Co. where the main line is at a 4.5% grade. More than enough power and speed to runaway and hide.

BTW - Plans for the 0-4-0 are currently available, plans for the 4+4 are almost complete and proofed. See LSOR for information on availability and price.

Bill
cp4449

O'Connor Locomotives

Post by cp4449 »

They run great!!!! We have 2-3 at LALS, and just love them. The only recommendation I would make is put either a injector or a electric water pump to put it in the boiler instead of the axle pump.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Unless the EPA and CDC have made him clean it up, Bill, who I've known for many years, has the dirtiest, most cluttered and oil-soaked workshop I've ever seen in my life . . . and he loves it that way. He said he couldn't work in a clean shop. :lol:
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
bcody

BEAM ENGINE WATER FEED

Post by bcody »

Mr. Mahony:

Why would you want to use an injector or electric pump to add water to the boiler? I am a firm believer in the KISS principal. The beam pump and hand pump work very well, why add complication?

I've been running a 4+4 since 2001 and have never had a problem maintaining water level.

I recently acquired a LE CRAB equipped with an injector. I took it off and installed a cross head driven pump. Much easier on the boiler to get small amounts of water on a continuous basis than a slug of water now and then.

I understand injectors, I just don't like them, too temperamental for me. I've used injectors on numerous locomotives and full size steamboats and I just don't like them. I'll take a simple engine driven pump with a by-pass valve anytime.

Bill
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

We had problems with the original axle pump. The injector solved the problem.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
bcody

BEAM ENGINE WATER FEED

Post by bcody »

Not a solution I would use. I would have fixed the pump.

Might have Bill take a look at it the next time he is out your way. Get the pump fixed and you can eliminate the injector, IMHO - a step in the right direction.

Are you aware there are over 50 0-4-0 beams running worldwide and 8 4+4 built by Bill with beam pumps. Yours is the only one with pump problems that I have heard of. BTW - The prints for the 0-4-0 are out and some are being constructed. The prints for the 4+4 are almost complete, being proofed by a gentleman in Utah building an engine as we speak. He needs only complete the valve gear, install the boiler (built and tested) and add the plumbing and he is off and running. Might have to wait until Spring, too much snow on his track.

Bill