Built a guide setup for my new grizzly 8" plate shear.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

csspecs

Built a guide setup for my new grizzly 8" plate shear.

Post by csspecs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

I do a lot of sheet metal work, but I am finding that my large step shear is rather hard to use to make the hundreds of small cuts I normally do at a time.
I've been thinking about getting one of those little grizzly plate shears for almost a year and I finally gave in about two weeks ago. Glad I did.

Once I got the unit in my hands I found two glaring problems with how I planned to use it, first it had no guide for square cutting, and it had no back gauge for repeating the same cuts.. Still I loved how well it cut the thin metal, almost no effort at all needed. So I decided to make a table to mount it to and guides and the like. I have no idea how you would use it as supplied, just off pencil lines or something?

I figured a few of you guys may have use for something like this so I took pictures and videos of it being built. I just finsihed the back gauge about two hours ago, seems to hold true to about .0005 I don't have a large enough mic to test so I only have calipers to check. Its well within my needs for perfection.

Videos
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eapHNsBIpR4
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-H9VtsIIs

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:53 pm

The picture and the videos are to dark to notice details.
Can you post a picture that shown more area ?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

whateg0

Post by whateg0 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:34 pm

That type of shear has been used for hand-guided cuts when I've seen it. I made one awhile back for cutting aluminum sheet. I've thought about making some attachments like the backstop and a square edge, but for what it was intended they wouldn't work. Where this type of shear excels is in cutting long strips, or longer cuts that would require a very long blade to be made all at once. Think of a pair of scissors cutting wrapping paper.

Dave

csspecs

Post by csspecs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Yeah I'll grab a camera with a flash and take a few more. Be a few hours.

I have a 36 inch step shear, and I have my metal sheared to 24 inches wide or smaller before I pick it up. 5.00 a cut is pretty cheap in my mind. I also have one of those disk shears (looks like a big can opener) that can do long stuff and curves.

I made the shear table because I'll have a 10 foot long 3 inch wide strip that I need to cut into 1 inch wide parts. And the step shear is a heck of a work out to use like that.