Setup - boring - reaming?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Exodus

Post by Exodus »

Some more pictures

CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Glenn has a good way if you want to bore it and if the small hole above the bore in the two rings goes all the way through you could use it on a dowel pin in a base plate to align the rings to bore them.
It's only ink and paper.
Exodus

Post by Exodus »

CarlD wrote:Glenn has a good way if you want to bore it and if the small hole above the bore in the two rings goes all the way through you could use it on a dowel pin in a base plate to align the rings to bore them.
I think it is a blind hole. I'll put my boots on a tromp through the snow out to the shop and check. BRB

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I imagine it would be threaded even if it is blind.

If not, thread the hole in the fixture!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Is that a conversion for the gas system ? More like an AK , suppose to keep more of the carbon out of the bolt carrier ...

Steve S
Gunbuilder

Post by Gunbuilder »

Steve S wrote:Is that a conversion for the gas system ? More like an AK , suppose to keep more of the carbon out of the bolt carrier ...

Steve S
Steve,
Looks to me like a gas block for an AR with a flip up front sight.

The hole (I think) is an unthreaded blind hole. For the propellant gases from the barrel to be redirected into the gas tube and eventuality to the bolt carrier.

Thanks,
Paul
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

I would remove the pivot, clamp the piece by the flat sides in a vice on a parallel, indicate on existing hole and bore.

Heavy paper between vice jaws and part.

Best regards, Jack