Storm -Vulcan

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

817jdg

Storm -Vulcan

Post by 817jdg »

Hi I am looking for anyone who has knowledge of the storm vulcan boring bars. What I realy need is the tool box that goes with a model NS boring bar. I bought one thats in nice shape but has no tools with it. I am new here an wasn't sure where to put this article. Thanks
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

817jdg,
Welcome.
Sorry I'm no help in your search for info on the Vulcan bars, and Yes this is a fine place for the post.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
spro

boring bar

Post by spro »

Re the Storm Vulcan; I'm not a pro and don't even own one of these but did do some research. If you just needed some cutters or the diamond laps you could go to Regis manuf co. Now RT sales Inc also has a website and sells all manner of "bars" and sometimes a separate toolkit or hold down set. The thing is the resellers who know this stuff have been prowling the net for years getting those stray kits and parts for years. They know what is what.
There are very different patented means of doing automotive cylinder boring. The early Rottler/Lempco used a design which was sturdy yet very simple as compared to the later Rottler, Storm-Vulcan and Kwikway. There must be hundreds of parts in some of these but they do have other features. Even in the tool kit there are more fingers or a freakin handle.

Okay now more to yours. Two more places; www.cpis.net and www.motorcarsltd.com. Ebay was often good. It helps if your inquiry is more particular. For instance, if you search "boring bar" in all of ebay you will be completely swamped but stick to ebay motors and search "cylinder boring" you can find something.
If you search for Storm Vulcan anywhere you will get a gillion storm warnings,vulcan aliens and more.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I have had a Storm-Vulcan boring bar with its accessories for about 30 years. In my opinion your chance of finding the accessories without the bar are about like your chance of being struck by lightning; not impossible but very unlikely. There just aren't that many left. You may luck up on some, and I hope you do. You might find it feasible to adapt some sort of available boring head to it or make something if you have the capability.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Can you post pictures of the tooling you are looking for?

Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
spro

stormy

Post by spro »

Was that... Right coulda.
Steve_in_Mich

Re: stormy

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

spro wrote:Was that... Right coulda.
spro, what?

If you search Storm-Vulcan with the dash it works pretty good.

Anyway, I have some tooling in the box I posted the photo of and was trying to get a responce from 817jdg about what he needs. If I go by eBay pricing it is probably a thousand dollar box of stuff I have - 500 bucks for it would make me happy.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
spro

bar not

Post by spro »

Yeh Steve i thought it was too. We don't know for sure;. he hasn't provided the model#. very early Storms are quite different and wouldn't use the same tooling.
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Someday he will remember he started the thread and look at it again. Maybe your tool kit is just what he needs.

Yes, buying an automotive boring bar without the accessory kit is not a good idea. The kit may cost more than the boring bar if it's even available. Fortunately you can still buy most Kwik-Way and Van Norman tools from Kwik-Way.

Right now there is 10 items on ebay for Storm-Vulcan.
It's only ink and paper.
817jdg

Post by 817jdg »

Hi again. My bar is a storm model NS. The only other info on tag is serial number. I have a working NK6 with tooling. The pic that steve from mich. posted looks Just like the tool box for my NK6 bar. What size does the mics go to ?? Yea it's not the best idea to buy a bar with no tools but for 100$ I figured it would be ok. I would also like to find a manual for it too. Thanks
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Did you contact steve_in_Mich about the tool kit he wants to sell?

Here's what is at ebay now http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Go to ebay every day and do a search with the words Storm-Vulcan and don't leave out the dash.
It's only ink and paper.
spro

cyl bore

Post by spro »

817jdg all my info is for the Mileage-Master series BC-E,G,T and BCT-V.
A really great guy was selling one and actually copied the info for me but somebody else bought the whole machine. "NS" rings a bell but dimly. i know one sold in 12/24/00 on ebay for $531.00. The specs i recorded and reason i bid was that it had a range of 2.750(?)--4.7" which made it a very tight bar for smaller or more modern engines. 13" stroke. This one had lots of odd tooling. 2.625 spindle. Musta been good because I only missed it by $10.00
Anyway the case looks right, the cutters and diamond lap will work but the ancillary fingers and such as the very expensive mic should be for your particular machine. Good luck and maybe Steve has what you want. Remember ten tears ago money was worth something.