some more 3/4" F-unit progress

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

some more 3/4" F-unit progress

Post by JohnHudak »

Here is a pic of the first "mock-up" of all the parts for the 3/4" "F" project.... Still a lot of work left to do on the trucks, with all the brake parts still to apply.. I'm hoping to take the shells in to the painter soon. While they're there, I'll get to work on the drive system.. I'd like to do a tracking test soon at NEOLS of just the two chassis' being pushed around the track by hand, to see if I've got enough clearance everywhere... I'm pretty sure I will be running soon, and am hoping to attend the Washakum meet in August with these "F's"
John
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
JohnHudak

Re: some more 3/4" F-unit progress

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's another pic after getting the shells back from the painter, drying in the sun! I'll have to wait a day or two until I take them to an auto pinstriping shop, who will be applying the Pennsy lettering, and doing the single stripe... Cant wait to see that!..
John
Attachments
Picture.jpg
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Wow John, those shells look great!
joerom

Post by joerom »

Superb looking shells John,your work is fantastic as usual.I bet you can't wait to run them.
Joe
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Thanks Bobby and Joe, I'll be taking one of the shells back to the painter, as it had a few pinholes that I must have missed when going over/sanding the shell in preparation for painting... They told me how to fix them with some spot putty, and hopefully I'll get to it this week so they can re-shoot it... I've ordered the 4QD controller, and I'm putting the finishing touches on the trucks.. I still don't know what sound system to use, but when I figure that out, it will go in the "dummy" chassis.. Once they are running it will be time for all the "bling".. Steps, ladders, horns, antennae, headlights, etc......... This project is a wonderful distraction from steam loco building, as it goes together relatively quick, and the time invested gives immediate results...
John
joerom

Post by joerom »

John,do you mean these are not steam powered? It is good to get away from some of the longer projects now and then.It keeps you fresh.It does not matter what you work on,as long as you keep doing it.
Joe
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Joe, As I've told you before, in a round-about way these are steam powered.... Our electricity is made from burning coal :roll:
John
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

If he had modeled Alco PA units instead of EMD F units you would think that they were steam powered. Or on fire.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

John, I have seen the phoenix sound systems for HO locomotives, work very well in 1.5" equipment. Hook up to a 12 volt automotive amplifier and speaker. They are small enough to put one in each unit to get that unique double engine sound.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

BobbyT wrote:They are small enough to put one in each unit to get that unique double engine sound.
OOOH! Two sound systems.... I like it!
John
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi John
The F units are looking great. Can't wait to see them in person some day. But....now that they are almost done will you be getting back to the B & A Tanker soon? I was watching the U Tube video of the tanker running on air and was marveling at the smoothness of the chassis. Incredible!
Happy model building
Jack
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

JBodenmann wrote:will you be getting back to the B & A Tanker soon? Jack
Jack, Thanks, as soon as these diesels are finished, it's back to the B&A Tanker...
John