large DIY "third hand"

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Michael_Moore

large DIY "third hand"

Post by Michael_Moore » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Lazze, an SF Bay Area panelbeater, scaled up one of those little "third hand" soldering aids to hold fenders and other parts. It looks to me like it would be a great addition to a welding bench. You could substitute a welding magnet, v-block or other tool to the end of an arm.

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/Tools/Lazze3a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/lazzemetalshapin ... npOa9WtF7o

Is a video by Lazze talking about how he built his third hand setup.

Enco has a pack of 25 1" OD carbon steel balls for about $16.50. Lazze used his TIG to attach the balls to the arms, but they could also be drilled/tapped and arms made that screw into them.

ETA: using a knob or lever instead of a plain SHCS at the clamp point would eliminate the need for a hex wrench.

cheers,
Michael

Harold_V

Re: large DIY "third hand"

Post by Harold_V » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Very useful device for metal beaters. Thanks, Michael.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Michael_Moore

Post by Michael_Moore » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Home shop guys could use it as an excuse to make a ball turning attachment for their lathe. :)

I can see how holding a big floppy fender or panel up off the table could be useful, but I'm unlikely to ever do something like that.

It looks like it would be hugely useful to have a couple of those arms attached to a welding bench. I'm frequently trying to do an ad hoc fixture with clamps, chunks of metal/wood, 123 blocks, and anything else that I see that looks like it might help hold something in place. But on the welding bench that could be used with almost every project.

If you put some small welding-rod loops near the pivots you could hook bungee cords between the arms to apply some tension to a part.

This is another one of those "I've seen those little ones for decades, why didn't I think to make a big one?" things that can make you feel so dumb when someone else does something "obvious".

cheers,
Michael

ken572

Post by ken572 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello Michael Moore,
I like it alot.. Multi-Usefulness (HEAVY DUTY)
Thanks for showing Us.. :idea:
Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.