Heavy Duty Light Thingy

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

seal killer

Heavy Duty Light Thingy

Post by seal killer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26 pm

All--

I would like to have a heavy duty light that I could mount on the far left or right side of my mill table in a t-slot. The arm would use two or three joints for flexibility and let me positon the light (incandescent, probably) where I need it most . . . close to the work.

While I am thinking about this, it occurs to me that the same mount implied above but with a ring light magnifing lens would be good for the other side of the table. Both the light and magnifier would be capable of being placed in the vertical position to get them out of the way.

Does such a thing exist or do I build it? Sounds easy. :)

Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.

mechanicalmagic

Re: Heavy Duty Light Thingy

Post by mechanicalmagic » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Bill,
Many of the standard desk lamps have a clamp-on device. Just a hole, with a "J" bolt that grips underneath. I made the proper size hole in a block, and have it secured with a turret bolt on the mill. Not elegant, but it gets partway there. The problem; too few degrees of motion. Something seems to be in the way all the time.

A better solution would be to have a ball joint at each joint. Easy to make, if you have a lathe,

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 am

Bill,
BP mounts the work light on the left hand side of the mill column. That's the best possible choice in that if you mount your light to the table, it will constantly be moving away from the point at which you wish it to aim. Likely not much of a problem if you work with your table and saddle in a fixed position, but that's a little unusual for typical mill work.

The lights they mount have a double ball assembly at the end of two arms, plus a swivel at the lamp, proper. You can position the light almost anywhere you desire.

When you get yours up and running, be certain to buy rough service bulbs. They easily withstand movement and vibrations, unlike the typical lamp.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 am

I use Luxo magnifying lights on both my fab/work table, and on the lathe. I like them very well, but don't have one for the mill.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper

EdK

Post by EdK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:56 am

I use goose neck lights on both my mill and my lathe. The goose neck allows you to position the light just about anywhere you want it. This is the one I recently got from Enco for my lathe:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=328-5479

It comes in different style mounts and can use compact fluorescent or incandescent bulbs and has a 24" goose neck.

I've also made my own goose neck lights by purchasing microphone goose necks from Musicians Friend and getting some track lights from the local home center and mounting them to the goose necks.

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 am

All--

Thank you all for the suggestions. If I come up with something "different" (highly doubtful) I'll post it.

--Bill
You are what you write.

Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:25 am

Cheers,

Frank Ford

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Do you really have to use highly technical language like "heavy duty light thingy"? A lot of us are just amateurs, and this arcane jargon confuses us. Can't you just call it a "doodad"?

Frank, do you have any idea how many lumens that light is? I can get 150-lumen flashlights at Costco for 6 bucks, so I have to wonder if technology has moved forward to the point where a tiny flashlight, a magnetic base, and some kind of gooseneck will do as much as an expensive AC light.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 pm

SteveHGraham--

"Arm thingy" is a highly sophisticated and technical term. Don't worry about it. Just call it something like a "high power incandescent lamp with fixture and three degree of freedom mount."

Frank Ford and I are a pair of fellow sophisticates. Here is his use of the phrase and description of the construction of the device: Arm Thingy Light Deal.

--seal killer
You are what you write.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Sometimes it seems kind of pointless to try to come up with anything new, because whatever it is, Frank has already done it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Frank is the type of person that dazzles with brilliance !!! 8) 8) 8)
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:

You mean Frank is his own guiding light ???
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.