Best lathe, might be Grizzily.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Vern2

Best lathe, might be Grizzily.

Post by Vern2 »

Does anyone know about the old and new controls?

I like this one the best. I've got the room for the 36 inch lathes?
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x- ... 43681.html
12x37 - looks like it's got the newer threading controls. $2299.99

12x36 - looks like it's got the older threading controls. $1999.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x- ... 65044.html

The two at Grizzly, both have the old controls. Plus $1000 more.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Gunsmit ... and/G4003G
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-37 ... athe/G9249

Vern
atomarc

Re: Best lathe, might be Grizzily.

Post by atomarc »

Vern,

My two cents....I have purchased several tools from Grizzly and have found them to be of MUCH higher quality than Harbor Freight. Sometimes the items may look similar but a hands on inspection usually shows the poor quality of the HF machine tools.

Look at the advertisement for the HF item...they don't indicate the horsepower of the machine and I couldn't find the specs on the spindle nose listed..D1-4 etc. These are basic specs a knowledgeable seller should mention and I find it a 'indicator' of the technical ineptitude of Harbor Freight items.

Grizzly imports their items from the same country but they seem to have higher QC. They also have support and parts, something HF isn't know for.

I would consider the extra dough for the Grizzly lathe money well spent. I wouldn't touch the HF lathe with a ten foot pole...but that's just my take on things. :)

Stuart
Last edited by atomarc on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Actually the HF lathes in the 12x and up category are fairly decent lathes. Much better than their 9x20 lathe by a long shot. That being said, if there were little difference in prices I would go with the Grizzly based on their customer service being better than HF's. If the difference is actually $1000 then I would have to think hard about going with the Grizzly. There are a lot of people that are very happy with their HF 12x class lathes. $1000 buys a whole lot of tooling. Just my 2 cents. :D

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well I have a "ACRA-TURN" labled 12X36 gearhead that is a dead ringer for the second HF unit. Got about 5 years of regular use on it with 0 problems. Did upgrade to a Bison 6" 3 jaw ,10X better than the orignal. Enco is selling one now that looks just like mine also $2700 and does not have the back splash.
www.chaski.com
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I have the G4003G and it has a D-5 chuck mount verses the redun that has a D-4. Implies bigger bearings.

Also the stand comes with the both the Grizzly's and is a $250 extra on the HF machines.

Check the thread counts for them too, since it seems the "new controlled" machine has fewer.

You may also want to ask HF how much each lathe weighs, add the stand weight and compare to the Grizzly's.

The 2 HFs and the cheaper Grizzly have 4 way tool posts and not the Quick Change type on the Gunsmith Lathe.

G4003G has a "spider" at the end of the headstock shaft. If memory serves you plan on turning down the ends of threaded rods and it supports the end while turning.

Grizzly tells you how much the freight is. HF doesn't and may be more.

When you start to make the comparisons and add the cost of upgrades to make them equal you will see that the Grizzly's are not $1000 more, they are closer to $500 or less. There are other lathe suppliers that may have better prices or quality on similar machines. You are going to have to make the best choice for yourself.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/NewlatheIndex.html

My reason for going with the Grizzly is that I am within 45 minutes driving (plus boarder wait :roll:) so I picked up my machines myself, and they are cheaper than I could find on this side of the line.

Pete
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I bought the Griz 4003 with the collet closer, stand and back splash plate. I have had excellent luck with the lathe, I have changed oil in the gear box twice in the five years I have owned it. I did change the belts to link belts and it seemed to run smoother. After set up itwill cut as close as I want .0005 is obtainable and repeatability is excellent.
I have made numerious small steam engines, built 7-8 bolt rifles (for the familly) and one RG-G gattling gun. and three copies of 1917, 1919 and M2 1/2 scale firing models (coffee cup prints) All with the lathe. And some help with a milling machine.
Bottom line I don,t think you can get a better lathe for the money for the home shop. I did have two motors burn out Grizzly sent me a replacment no questions ask prepaid. I think the motors are the weak point on these lathes.
Anyway thats my story on that. :mrgreen:
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Given the choices, I'd pick either Grizzly or Enco. The Enco model is probably very much like the HF item since it lists 18 speeds. Like HF, Enco is famous for listing almost no specifications. I had the $ to spend on a 12x36, I'd likely wait for the 4003G to show up with free shipping. I like the equipment it comes with, the chuck mount and the customer service.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Frankb

Post by Frankb »

I bought a Birgimham ylc 12/36 from link below about 4 or 5 years ago. It is the same as the Grizzly but came with stand and backplash. I went ahead and ordered the QCTP wedge type when I ordered it.. I have been satisfied with it for what I do. I made an old wheel type collet closer. I ordered the MT5 to 5C hub from Grizzly as a part from the quick change collet closer that Grizzly sells for their 12/36 lathe.
The Birmingham with stand was very close to the Grizzly price without the stand. That was including shipping.
www.billstoolcrib.com/Lathbir1236.htm

P.S. The Birimgham has a 1 1/2 spindle bore compared to the Grizzly 1 7/16. I know, what's the big deal about 1/16 of an inch until you need it.
Either lathe is okay. I do wish I had a bigger lathe sometimes.

Frank
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

They do have a nice price on that model. Looks like the same specs as the G4003.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Richard-TX

Post by Richard-TX »

Rolland wrote:I bought the Griz 4003 with the collet closer, stand and back splash plate. I did have two motors burn out Grizzly sent me a replacment no questions ask prepaid. I think the motors are the weak point on these lathes.
Anyway thats my story on that.
As far as I am concerned the motor on the Grizzly 4003 is about as cheap a motor as can be made and have it still work. I took the 1 ph motor off within 2 months of getting my 4003 lathe and put a 3 phase motor and VFD on it. Cuts are noticeably smoother, the lathe stops much quicker, and the variable speed make threading a joy. Finding that right RPM to pull straw colored chips is a piece of cake. It doesn't take much to go from straw to blue.

Do yourself a favor and toss the 1 ph motor and put a 3 phase motor and VFD on it. You will not regret it.
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

I have seen these motors on Ebay for less than $100. Sometimes even a Baldor or other good brand.
The machinery dealers also have good used ones for under $100.

Best,

Nelson
kenh

Post by kenh »

I would advise a visit here:

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/

Call Matt, he will deal, considerably better pricing than Grizz.

I bought a mill from Grizz. My last purchase from them.
I also ordered a DRO, the scales were 36" instead of 30"
Many Emails, a phone call, still waiting four or five weeks now.l