The list is getting short...

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

calgator

The list is getting short...

Post by calgator »

Getting a lot of progress on cleaning out projects in the shop, finished all the small stuff like fixing the winless winch for a friend’s boat. Now its full speed ahead on the truck with the rolling chassis done, getting the cab stripped down and off to the media blaster. Once it’s done then in can start on my mogul.
Attachments
100_2797.JPG
The best times were behind one of Al's engines
Hawk99

Re: The list is getting short...

Post by Hawk99 »

calgator

You better watch that list, it grows from the bottom.

Nice truck, Studebaker?

Frank
spro

Post by spro »

Definitely Stude, Dude. Nice shop and things goin' on. Frank knows about this stuff .
calgator

Post by calgator »

Yes, it’s a Studebaker, 1951 ½ ton. My oldest son has a 62 Studebaker Champ he is working on, it runs and he wants to start driving it soon. Since my boys are 17 and 19 they are eager to earn money and not pay rent, so all the things I would normally have to complete like trimming trees or mowing yard.
Once this truck is back we will get it ready and paint it before August and then it’s off to my father. In the mean time we are working on a storage shed in the back yard that will free up more of the garage, so I can get the Hemi and other parts from my 57 out of the way.
I’ve ordered the metal to start cutting the frame for my LE 1-1/2” scale Northern. It should be interesting on how to do it. I will be posting another thread.
If you guys are interested I can post pictures of the fabrication of parts for the truck when we updated to more modern hardware like suspension?
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

calgator

I am interested in all metal fabrication. I would enjoy your fabrication processes and pictures. How things are made have lessons for us all.

Frank
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

calgator--
so I can get the Hemi and other parts from my 57 out of the way
Gee. I am REALLY interested in anything hemi-related. Especially, '57! 392? Pictures? Please?

--Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Studebaker trucks were something. I remember back about 40+ years ago we had this old beast of a Stude .. It musta been a 5 ton or something. they used to crush cars the old fashion way by pummeling them with big weight off a crane, after they set them on fire. The thing is they would load all these pancakes on that big Studebaker truck and drive it very far away for reprocess. It was a very long haul at some fair speed at stretches.
When I checked under the hood I kept looking for another engine hidden somewhere. There wasn't. It was just that big 6 flat head.
spro

Post by spro »

Hold on now. You mean American hemi.
There were others. I believe Andre Citroen would pop up in a search.
Just for the fun of it, before they did the hemispherical head stuff they mated two 4cyl together to make a huge V-8. An interesting read.
kenh

Post by kenh »

Yeah, Pics, lotsa pics
calgator

Post by calgator »

The 57 Plymouth Belvedere original engine is 301 polyhemi (that means the cylinders are 90 degrees from each other but 45 degrees from the centerline of the crank). Right now I’m using a 383 with a matching torqueflight to move the car around until I get the body done.
The 51 Studebaker in the picture is a 6 cylinder flat head with a cam from a champ that I turned the journals down to fit. This gave me more lift and duration of opening so I should get an additional 15% out of the original 98 c.i. That I bored out to 0.120, needed to because after 310,000 miles the pistons were slapping side to side.
After I get the cab out and the shed completed this weekend I will post pictures, right now I have a hard time climbing around the welder, blasting cabinet, and many other “things” in my way. As for the truck I’ve been posting picture on my facebook but will copy some here.
Attachments
Cassidy learning how to weld,  really enjoying the "wormth" of the welding gear on a hot summers day with no ventelation.
Cassidy learning how to weld, really enjoying the "wormth" of the welding gear on a hot summers day with no ventelation.
My son making plates to mount caster for a cart so we can move the cab around easily
My son making plates to mount caster for a cart so we can move the cab around easily
removal of all the electrical, heater, and other items from the cab getting it ready for removal
removal of all the electrical, heater, and other items from the cab getting it ready for removal
The inside cleaned out with just the seat frame and column needed to be removed
The inside cleaned out with just the seat frame and column needed to be removed
calgator

Post by calgator »

Ok, so here are some status pictures as requested.
Attachments
This is the best I can do for now of the polyhemi 301 from my 57 Plymouth Belvedere.  When I get the garage cleaned out I will take better ones of the heads and lifters.
This is the best I can do for now of the polyhemi 301 from my 57 Plymouth Belvedere. When I get the garage cleaned out I will take better ones of the heads and lifters.
Cab pulled off frame, I will now disassemble the frame and send it out for powder coating.
Cab pulled off frame, I will now disassemble the frame and send it out for powder coating.
Cab ready for the media blasting
Cab ready for the media blasting
These were Cassidy's vertical welds after two day's of teaching, not bad.
These were Cassidy's vertical welds after two day's of teaching, not bad.
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

Looks good Cassidy, keep it up. Welding is a skill I have never made a living doing, but use almost daily. My experience came while in college from working (no pay) for a man that built Pitts Specials for aerobatic pilots. The fuselage was constructed of 4130 Chromoly. It was all gas welded. He machined spindles and other parts from raw materials. Things I learned there, I have used throughout my racing life. The truck is going nicely, keep us updated.

Engines have always been interesting to me, but I have almost no experience with Mopar. It will be interesting to see the inside of that piece.

Frank