Dust collector on Boyar Shultz Grinder Queston.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Diesel II

Dust collector on Boyar Shultz Grinder Queston.

Post by Diesel II » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:39 am

I have a boyar Shultz 612 surface grinder with a dust collector. I disassembled the dust collector and pressure washed it and painted it and modified the filters. Once I got it reassembled and started it, it does not seem to have hardly any suction. I changed rotation of the motor and it did not seem to help. It had a 3400 rpm motor for the dust collector with a squirrel cage type fan on it. I was thinking that I am over speeding the squirrel cage. This motor was on it but you can tell it was replaced.
Any Thoughts on this?

gmann109

Re: Dust collector on Boyar Shultz Grinder Queston.

Post by gmann109 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 am

Diesel II wrote:I have a boyar Shultz 612 surface grinder with a dust collector. I disassembled the dust collector and pressure washed it and painted it and modified the filters. Once I got it reassembled and started it, it does not seem to have hardly any suction. I changed rotation of the motor and it did not seem to help. It had a 3400 rpm motor for the dust collector with a squirrel cage type fan on it. I was thinking that I am over speeding the squirrel cage. This motor was on it but you can tell it was replaced.
Any Thoughts on this?
My dust collector has a 3,450 motor on it. It's a turbine style. 3,450 should work OK. Your modification to the filters may be your problem. My collector is on a barrel with a dust bag so there's not much restriction. It sounds like you have a restriction.

Diesel II

Post by Diesel II » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:55 pm

I never tested with the old filters in it but even with the filters out I cannot get any suction. I am thinking that I am cavitating the squirrel cage type fan. I think if it was a turbine style I would be fine. I am thinking that the previous owner may have installed the squirrel cage fan. All the applications of squirrel gages, that I have seen, run at a much slower speed. For example heater blower motor of a car.

gmann109

Post by gmann109 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Diesel II wrote:I never tested with the old filters in it but even with the filters out I cannot get any suction. I am thinking that I am cavitating the squirrel cage type fan. I think if it was a turbine style I would be fine. I am thinking that the previous owner may have installed the squirrel cage fan. All the applications of squirrel gages, that I have seen, run at a much slower speed. For example heater blower motor of a car.
Yes, I hadn't thought of that but you might be correct. If it's running at an overspeed condition for its design it could be cavitating.

I wonder whether you could change to a turbine unit without too much expense. I've been using mine since 1972 when i bought it. It goes onto a 55 gallon barrel. It was $600 when I bought it back then. I don't know why it cost so much but I needed one. It has a 2 hp vertical Baldor motor and there's only one moving part. I use it on my bead blaster most of the time but I can move it to my sander ot table saw when I do woodwork, which is seldom anymore. (Wood costs more than metal, LOL).

Here's a picture of the dust collector.

menace

Post by menace » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:58 pm

One place to check is if the inside of the suction hose has collapsed reducing the suction at the grinder end! Especially if it is multi-layered. Good luck, Steve.

Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:16 pm

As long as you are handling air, cavitation is not an issue, it is a liquids problem where reduction in pressure causes timy bubbles to form and collapse.

For fans and pumps, when you change RPM, flow is proportional to the RPM, pressure is proportional to RPM squared, and power is proportional to RPM cubed, within reasonable ranges.

Look for obstructions in the suction or discharge lines.

Diesel II

Update

Post by Diesel II » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I finally got around to finishing my dust collector on my 6 x 12 Boyar Schultz surface grinder.
As for it not sucking I found that the previous owner must have replaced the motor with a Dayton electric motor and put the squirrel cage on backwards. With it stuffed back in the housing you could not see it. I did not notice it at the time that I cleaned it and painted it. I have also included pictures of the old filters and what I did to convert the housing to take an automotive style filter. Now she really SUCKS.
Attachments
Conex Squire Cage.jpg
Motor with backwards squarrel cage
boyar Shultz Filters installed.jpg
New Filters installed
boyar schultz filter small (2).jpg
Old Style Filters
boyar Shultz filter bottom.jpg
New Filters
boyar Shultz 002.jpg
Dust collector housing
Equipment:Atlas Shaper, Bridgeport Mill, Southbend Heavy 10 Lathe