Gage for setting tool height on lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JeffinWI

Gage for setting tool height on lathe

Post by JeffinWI »

Simple to make, no complaints. Picture is self explanatory...I think [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Jeff_Pack

Re: Gage for setting tool height on lathe

Post by Jeff_Pack »

I was taught to just use a steel ruler between the work, and the
bit. If its straight up and down, you are center of the piece...

no gages required.... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
JeffinWI

Post by JeffinWI »

You're right...that will get you close. I believe we were shown that "trick" in tech shool also...but that was in the days before carbide inserts [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Nick_Snyder

Post by Nick_Snyder »

How do you set the gage to center height
Davey

Post by Davey »

I can see how this would make setting tool height quick and easy.I sometimes use a center in the tailstock to set a tool.Nice job!
philinmt

Post by philinmt »

Nice jig, In the old days we would cut a 30 degree knotch in the ram of the tail stock (the 30 d was for setting your threading bit) and ingrave a center line but you had to bring the tail stock to your tool ...Phil in Mt
JeffinWI

Post by JeffinWI »

I started by trueing up a piece of 1" TG&P in the chuck. Then measured from the compound to the top of that. (I set a 4" gage block on the compound and depth mic'ed down to the top of the shaft, but you can use anything that has a decent finsih and a known dimension. Or you could mesure to the bottom side of the shaft using gage blocks, adjustable parallels, or a machined block and feeler gages). Then depth mic from the compound down to the flat bedway . Add 'em up, allowing for the shaft Ø, and you should get a very good dimension from the flat bedway to the centerline of the spindle. If you're using the old style "rocker" tool post instead of a QC toolpost, it's easier to make the gage to work off the top of the compound.
Orrin

I use something very similar

Post by Orrin »

My tool height gage is nearly identical except that I have a threaded section near the top of the vertical rod. The top horizontal bar is mounted on a collar. The collar is held at the right height with knurled nuts above and below.

That way, my gage is adjustable. Of course, once it's set it doesn't ever have to be moved, again. But, from time to time my setup demands that the top bar needs to point in some other direction. All I have to do is loosen one of the nuts, swing the bar to where it's needed, and tighten the nut, again.

To "calibrate," I set the tool according to the gage, then try a facing cut. If there is a "tit" remaining at the center of the piece, I adjust the gage accordingly until the cutting tool no longer leaves a tit. Once set at the proper height, one of the two nuts can be Loc-Tited into place. This ensures that "calibration" won't be disturbed.

Whenever I get another lathe, the first thing I do is make a tool height gage for it. I'm lost without one.

Yes, I've used the ruler-between-the-tool-and-workpiece trick, but it doesn't always work. For instance, when facing rough castings, rectangular stock, etc.
So many projects, so little time.