Shopmade Mill Vise

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

Hawk99

Shopmade Mill Vise

Post by Hawk99 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 am

I am still making semi-precision things with less than precision machines. Here is my latest. A shop made 4" mill vise with angle lock sorta. I knew I could not cast the lower base and ways, so I made the base from 5/8 plate and the ways from 1018 1-1/4 square. The fixed and movable jaw are also 1018. Alum jaws. I purchased the leadscrew, nut and bearings from McMaster Carr. All is bolted together with 5/16 button head screws. The movable jaw lifts about .0005 when tightened. It sure beats the $9.00 drill press vise I have been using. I would not recommend building one, unless you want to learn about your and your machines capabilities. I made it from steel I had around and so the only cost has been about $30 from McMaster. I have a set of Autocad 14 drawings, if anyone wants them. Email would be free and print copies whatever it cost me. I still need to revise the drawings to "as built" drawings. Also, I have a large amount of pictures as I went through the process. Maybe to add to the photo album some day.

Thanks to bluechipmachineshop for referbishing an old Kurt and showing a good description of each part. I was able to design this thing looking at how the thing works.

Frank

Fullautomike

Re: Shopmade Mill Vise

Post by Fullautomike » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:33 am

Looks great. :D I need a nice vice, maybe some day I'll try to make one also. Can you email me the drawings when you get a chance? Fullautomike@sbcglobal.net

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:40 am

Frank,

That is some fine work there! Thanks for sharing it!

Did you ever finish the Monarch project?

It looks to be painted and ready to go.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

ken572

Post by ken572 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:03 am

Hello Frank,

Great looking vice indeed.. 8) (I want one)

Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.

randyc

Post by randyc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 am

Frank,

That's a dandy little vise and shows some good workmanship as well as practical design skills. If the vise lifts only .0005 then it's as good as most that cost less than $300 ! Heck, an Anglock will lift that much or more if it's not properly adjusted and many of them aren't properly adjusted (or have worn over time and use ... note to self: check and adjust mill vise). It's generally good practise to give the workpiece a tap or two with a small brass head hammer, anyway.

If you don't mind a suggestion, why not make a couple of toe clamps to secure the front of your vise. This is one (of four) that I use when I mount a toolmaker's vise, made from scraps. Just a socket head cap screw in a tee-nut clamping a piece of 1/4 angle that has been cut to the right height. Two scraps of 3/16 and 1/4 plate, one to spread the cap screw load on the angle and the larger one to spread the load of the angle over the mill table (don't want that HRS angle to mar or dent my table).
P1010686.JPG
Cheers, thanks for sharing -
Randy C

edited to add: I really like your idea of using button-head screws. Almost nobody takes advantage of the greater surface bearing area of these screws and the very shallow counterbores that they require compared to a socket head cap screw.

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Fullautomike, I am revising them to "as built". As soon as I get them done, I will email a set.

Glen, Thanks, yes the Monarch is complete and making chips. I have a phase II for it, but pic has home made one on it.

Ken, you will have to make your own. I can send plans, but the labor involved says you need to make your own. thanks for wanting one.

randy c, My thoughts exactly. The drill press vise I have been using raises .030 +. I am still experimenting with the adjustment on the angle lock. I did not make a hemisphere slice for the angle to bear on as Kurt does. Those clamps are neat. I will make me a pair. Thanks for the comments.

Well its back to work, as I was in Ft Worth all day and I am ready to make chips.

Frank

randyc

Post by randyc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Frank: drop-dead GORGEOUS Monarch !!!

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm

randy c, Thanks, did you see it when I unloaded it? See attached.

Frank

randyc

Post by randyc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Yep, I did. Impressive restoration in an impressive amount of time!

Randy C

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 pm

randy c,

The Monarch hijacked this thread. It has done that before.

As to the vise, I have not checked all measurements and will surface grind the ways and base, if necessary. Use over time will tell, if it is a good piece or not.

Frank

thekrutch

Post by thekrutch » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Great work on the vise! Does it have a 'spherical segment'? Has the 1018 'moved' on you?
Now, a highjack question must be asked. Do you find the Monarch stable on the timber? Excelent restoration by the way, looks nearly unused in the pics.
I have recently move my Mod 111 Clausing and it is on 2x6 wood planks and has taken 3 to 4 weeks to settle to level. I will have to watch for movement over the winter to see of I must reset the machine on something else. Probably wouldn't hurt to put it on a better 'bench' than it is on.
Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

ken572

Post by ken572 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Frank,

Yes your Monarch is super nice, but your 56 Chev needs some showin as well. 8)
It brings, Back in Da Day thoughts to my head. :lol:
Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.