Super Spacer Work Stop

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

GlennW

Super Spacer Work Stop

Post by GlennW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 am

I finally got around to making a simple adjustable work stop for my Super Spacer as I had a bunch of 4130 tubes that needed opposing slots plunged into them.

A piece of threaded rod, some 1/2 x 2" aluminum bar, and turn a couple of aluminum discs.

No frills, didn't even round the corners on it, yet...

Allows parts to be indexed from one end, and just bolts on. Different diameter ends can be screwed on if needed, or removed for smaller dia parts. I'll make another shaft with a turned down end for parts smaller than 1/2" dia as well, when I need it.

Plunge, retract, rotate 180°, plunge, retract, remove and feed in new tube. Made it an easy task...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

dly31

Re: Super Spacer Work Stop

Post by dly31 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Simple but elegant. good idea, Glenn.

Don Young
Don Young

atomarc

Post by atomarc » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Glen,

A functional do-dad for sure. I am impressed that you stop and take the time to build a fixture to get a job done in a more efficient (accurate) and time saving manner...this is my downfall for sure. I want to get the job done but just can't find the time to build a fixture to help with the job. :)

Stuart

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:27 pm

atomarc wrote:...this is my downfall for sure.
Well, my downfall, for sure, is wanting to make that tool or fixture for every job I do! :D

It sure is nice the next time though, when the tool or fixture is in a cabinet ready to go right to work when you need it. :wink:

Thanks!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Nice setup, Glenn.

I made one that mounts in the spindle of my lathe, so I can stop items held in either a chuck (if necessary --I generally rely on soft jaws with a shoulder) or collets. Collets present a problem when you use a Hardinge-Sjogren collet chuck in that the don't repeat well for lengths. The stop I made will hold a thou easily.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.