5C Spin Indexer Jig

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jamesemery728

5C Spin Indexer Jig

Post by jamesemery728 »

Can anyone explain/demonstrate how to use one of these jigs? Do you mount it in a mill vise? Clamp it to a mill table? Pictures would be most helpful. Thanks to all in advance for any info.
Harold_V

Re: 5C Spin Indexer Jig

Post by Harold_V »

Using your imagination is key to success. There may be no right or wrong way an indexer may be applied, as they're intended to be used as required. For example, I have used an indexer on a rotab, to swing a given arc, and to be able to make back to back cuts at 180° intervals (an elliptical hole in a mouthpiece) In this particular setup, the indexer was capable of being mounted with the spindle vertical (a Hardinge indexing head).

You may or many not be able to locate your indexing head in a vise, for the sides may or may not be parallel with the spindle. If they are not, you may be able to dial the spindle true, then take a skim cut on each side of the base to bring it parallel with the spindle.

Think of a setup that will solve your particular problem, then pursue the setup such that it accomplishes the task. That's what we do in commercial shops.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

The spin indexer can be used on a surface grinder or milling machine.

I made a base for my spin indexer for drilling. Without the base the spin indexer will tilt when drilling from the downward pressure. The base provides for support.

I also did a complete rebuild of my spin indexer if anyone is interested. The spindle and cast iron frame is actually quite good on those spin indexers. The draw bar and the collars with set screws is what needs help.

Jim
Attachments
Spin indexer with base
Spin indexer with base
Indexer base.jpg (106 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
EdK

Post by EdK »

JimGlass wrote:I also did a complete rebuild of my spin indexer if anyone is interested. The spindle and cast iron frame is actually quite good on those spin indexers. The draw bar and the collars with set screws is what needs help.

Jim
Jim,

I would definitely be interested in your rebuild. I have one of the Enco import spin indexers and also one of the Phase II that actually has published specs, unlike the Enco import.

Thanks,
Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I would definitely be interested in your rebuild. I have one of the Enco import spin indexers and also one of the Phase II that actually has published specs, unlike the Enco import.
Ok, I may start a new thread. I'll see what I have.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
ken572

Post by ken572 »

jamesemery728,

This is a good link on spin indexer components
and operations multi-page (click next page)
on top of the pages.:wink:

http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/mill_indexi ... er_00.html

Ken.:)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.