Oiler

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Oiler

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Still a bit of a work in progress but here is a gadget that will help reduce the mess on those pesky cup shaped ball oilers used on some equipment, typically of English origin.

I started with a HF pump oiler and made a few adapters to make a very extended tip. The pump oiler can be held in a convenient and level position while the tip can be oriented as needed. The tubing is 1/8" nylon and the current tip, screwed on, is low density polyetheylene. It works pretty well but I want to try a few other plastics and an aluminum tip with O ring seal as well.

The tip diameter is about the same as the oiler cup and it is tapered slightly steeper than the oiler cup. Pressed firmly into the oiler cup, there is very little leakage.

Alway clean out the oiler cup with a Q tip before oiling.
Attachments
DSC00014.JPG
JackF

Re: Oiler

Post by JackF »

Russ,

Neat idea.

Jack.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Russ,

Very nice lubricator you have come up with.. :idea: :wink:

Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
randyc

Post by randyc »

A little oiler was already on my "to buy" list but I see the light and will imitate Russ' design !

Very clever,
Randy C
EdK

Post by EdK »

Russ,

Nice oiler :!:

Please keep us posted on your design. I will need to copy yours once you have all of the kinks worked out. This one goes to the top of the list of projects. 8)

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
rudd

Post by rudd »

I'd like a little more detail on the config of your tip if you please.. I am in the same boat... old Brit mill with the pesky Tecazerk fittings, BSF thread, natch.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Not much to report on tip design, I started with a bit of low density polyethylene rod and turned it down to the diameter of the oiler then eyeballed a taper that was a bit steeper than the oiler cup, Not sure the poly is the best plastic but I think that something a bit resilient is what will work, Another idea I want to try is an aluminum tip with an O ring - still need to work out the how to best on that one.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

tubing is 1/8" nylon and the current tip, screwed on, is low density polyetheylene. It works pretty well but I want to try a few other plastics
Try delrin. It threads and taps real well.

Can you come up with a 90* or 45* tip?

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com