Ball Turner for Atlas 10 in Lathe

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

737mechanic

Ball Turner for Atlas 10 in Lathe

Post by 737mechanic »

Finally got around to making a ball/radius turner for my lathe. This thing is so handy I can't believe lathe manufactures don't make this a standard tool when you buy a new lathe.

This ball turner is based on Steve Bedairs design and moddifed for my lathe.

Everything I do seems to be straight from my head so lots of trial and error happens along the way. The base simply mounts the same way the compund does, it uses 2 wedge type slugs to wedge the base to the cross slide. The top part is machined with a lip that fits pefectly into a matting ridge on the base. I ended up making a custom screw to hold the too pieces together because I couldnt find the perfect screw for the job. I put a grease zerk in the base so I can grease it without having to take it apart. I ended up ordered two types of inserts and the one in the pick is the first ones to arrive and they are TNMG 322. I ended up making the hold down screw from a 6-32 capscrew. I scribed some index marks in 1/4" increments so I can quickly set the radius. As you can see in the last pic I broke the tap in the back part of the slide so I will not be using this one for making concave parts. The handle is titanium rod with my first turned brass ball end.

All in all this was a great project and it works perfect and I already see many things that are going to have a nice round ball on the end.
Attachments
DSCN1537.jpg
DSCN1547.jpg
DSCN1549.jpg
DSCN1551.jpg
DSCN1552.jpg
DSCN1555.jpg
DSCN1557.jpg
DSCN1560.jpg
Last edited by 737mechanic on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
737mechanic

Re: Ball Turner for Atlas 10 in Lathe

Post by 737mechanic »

Countinued
Attachments
DSCN1561.jpg
DSCN1562.jpg
DSCN1563.jpg
DSCN1565.jpg
DSCN1566.jpg
DSCN1570.jpg
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

A nice job ! Good pics of the process to see it transform . A titianium handle WoW $$$
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice design. Looks very solid.

Steve
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Coal Miner, I get titanium tube and bolts from work that we have to change out for wear which in many cases can't be seen with the naked eye and would otherwise be thrown in the trash. When I got my lathe I started keeping anything I feltI could use to make stuff. I have tons of these titanium rods and tubes and use them all the time for stuff like this. The bolts that I keep cost $1000.00 each when they are new and to think we have thrown thousands of them away before I started hoarding them. Titanium has such a awesome finish when it is machined plus it is very strong and light.

SteveM, Thanks for the kind words. The turner seems to work excellent. I am looking forward to converting lots of cylinders into spheres :)
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

A Ti flashlite ! !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

I have already been thinking on that. The problem is I only get 2 sizes of titanium tube so I need to do some measuring and see what is available.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

nice looking project and i hope it works as well as it looks, i need to go look in the scrap collection pretty shure i got a bunch of those bolts tucked away.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

That looks like a fine job in both design and workmanship. That broken tap should not be much of a problem. Pounding on it with a well fitting hard punch and a really big hammer should either loosen or shatter it. Of course there are lots of other methods for removing broken taps. I haven't tried it but I like the idea of etching it with acid enough to loosen.
Don Young
rennie

Post by rennie »

Do you have plans for the ball turner as I have a 10" atlas and would like to make one??
MarkBall2

Post by MarkBall2 »

I made one similar for my 12x36 Craftsman lathe, sans the titanium handle. Used the center bolt to hold the two pieces together too.

No plans just eyeballed everything & it works great. I do have to re-make it though, I want to use 3.5" steel rod instead of a 3" piece. And make the bit holder a little longer.

Nice job.
I haven't always been a nurse...........
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Rennie, I do not have any plans but can take more pictures and send to you if you need them.