How to level this lathe cabinet/stand?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

Kaoma

How to level this lathe cabinet/stand?

Post by Kaoma » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:50 pm

I have the ENCO Tru-Turn 1440 lathe and this is the original cabinet base made for this lathe.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=TH983-1331
As you can see in the picture the cabinet has ONLY 4 holes (1/2" not threaded), one on each corner and none in the middle. The lathe will be installed in the home garage and the floor has a standard slope towards the gate. The lathe will be installed with the tail stock towards the house and the head stock towards the gate. I have to level the lathe and thought of getting the Enco Mason leveling pads:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=516&PMCTLG=00
but since the stand has only four holes (none in the middle), can I level the lathe+stand with only four leveling pads? Since the lathe/cabinet is not supported in the middle, will it buckle under stress or not. Don't want to end up with a bowed lathe in time.
I am ambidextrous!
I screw up with the left hand just as good as with the right hand.

Harold_V

Re: How to level this lathe cabinet/stand?

Post by Harold_V » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Kaoma wrote:but since the stand has only four holes (none in the middle), can I level the lathe+stand with only four leveling pads? Since the lathe/cabinet is not supported in the middle, will it buckle under stress or not. Don't want to end up with a bowed lathe in time.
One would have to assume that the cabinet is built to accommodate the weight of the lathe and accessories without fear of buckling. Short bed lathes typically have support only at the headstock and tailstock, so I would have to assume that you have nothing to fear. Do remember, you are not dealing with a lot of weight.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

EdK

Post by EdK » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:28 pm

Kaoma,

As you know, I have the same lathe and I used these Mason mounts:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... A=325-6615

I used eight of them since I built my own bench out of wood. It's probably overkill with the eight mounts but it works for me. I plan on welding a bench out of steel tubing once my skills are up to the task.

As Harold has suggested, the stand should be designed to hold the lathe with the four mounts. You could call Enco and see what they say about it to ease your mind.

Ed
Attachments
metal bench.jpg
Future metal bench.
bench.jpg
Wooden bench.
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.

Lodsb

Post by Lodsb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 pm

The cabinet should sit securely so oil in the tray drains properly and the doors function like they should. Then mount the lathe and twist the bed straight using shims between the cabinet and lathe. It's much easier than trying to twist a steel cabinet.

Kaoma

Post by Kaoma » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:23 pm

The best solution, also sugested by ENCO is to get two metal plates and put them under the cabinets and level the cabinets in this way. I would think aluminum is the best choice, now I have to find two plates of 1/4" X 15 3/4" X 17 1/4". Any idea where I can find aluminum plates?
I am ambidextrous!

Kaoma

Post by Kaoma » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 am

Have got aluminum plates and built a "base" to support the cabinets. So far I have only four leveling pads and need to get four more. Pictures attached.
Attachments
DSC01363.JPG
DSC01366.JPG
DSC01371.JPG
DSC01372.JPG
DSC01373.JPG
I am ambidextrous!

Kaoma

Post by Kaoma » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm

The stand is all done, happy how it turned out. Next is to place the lathe on it.
Attachments
DSC01414.JPG
DSC01415.JPG
I am ambidextrous!

hammermill

Post by hammermill » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:02 am

looks like a fine job on the stand. now to get it setting level.