Ordered new mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Morph

Ordered new mill

Post by Morph »

I just ordered a small mill from enco. Comes with stand and longitudinal power feed. $2,993.98 delivered.
I was impressed with the 18 3/4'' spindal to table distance. Max spindal rpm is only 1975. I wanted more rpm for carbide insert tooling but my boss(wife) gave me a tool allowance and this mill is the best I could find in stock. I found a couple of other mills that I wanted but on a slow boat from china. Didnt want to get told it would be here next month over and over for who knows how long, if ever. Had to stay small because of space or I would have gotten a used bridgeport or clone.
What do you guys think? Good for hobby guy?
Attachments
0845101-11.jpg
0845101-11.jpg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Bill
Morph

Re: Ordered new mill

Post by Morph »

Here are a couple pictures of my need moore space problem.
Attachments
DSC00375.JPG
0425001705b.jpg
Bill
EdK

Post by EdK »

Bill,

I was going to suggest this mill that I'm looking at from Penn Tools for $2000.

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/produ ... oryID=6610

But then I reread your message and saw you don't have room for that large a mill. What's the model number of the Enco mill you ordered? The picture looks just like my current mill.

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
Morph

Post by Morph »

EdK,
The model # is 328-6255.
Sorry it took so long to respond, my wifi on the computer went kaput. I had to use my wifes computer to reply after hours of attempts to get mine to work. Guess i will be going to Best Buy today to get a wireless adapter.
I like the mill in your post. I searched high and low for a new mill like that in stock and couldnt find one. So how do you like your mill?
I have a mill lathe combo from Grizzly but the mill part is not very good. Round colunm really a pain. And distance between spindle and table too small. Every time I put the quick change collet and vise on I would only have 6 or 7 inches of work room. Not very good.
If your mill is the same as mine I would really appreciate your advise. I already paid for the mill so I am stuck with it unless it comes in damaged.
Bill
Morph

Post by Morph »

Thanks for the pm EdK.
Bill
Morph

Post by Morph »

After EdK posted the link to Penn Tool I kicked myself. For that price and what you get I can make room for that mill. So I cancelled the enco order and ordered the mill in the link from EdK.
Thank you EDK for saving me.
Here is a picture of the mill I will be recieving:
Attachments
6610.gif
Bill
Morph

Post by Morph »

Sorry, here is the link for the Penn Tool mill:

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/produ ... oryID=6610
Bill
EdK

Post by EdK »

Bill,

That picture is actually the TMM-400. Penn Tools sent me a picture showing the TMM-100. I'll email it to you.

Ed
Morph

Post by Morph »

EdK,
I just got off the phone with Rich there at penn tool and he sent me a link showing the exact same mill and he said that yes it is the same except for the paint being gray.
If you dont mention the mill is on the blowout sale you will be quoted any where from $2,500 to $2,900. I got it for $1,995.00 like the link shows. Shipping from New Jersy to Oklahoma was a little steep at $620.
I may have been able to choose my own freight company but Im not sure. Seems like shipping should be about $350?
I asked Rich if he knew what mill parts may interchange with other china mills and he didnt know.
Bill
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Morph wrote: Shipping from New Jersy to Oklahoma was a little steep at $620.
A lot would depend on the method, whether it was common carrier, or flat bed.

Machine tool rates are also sometimes dependent on the space they occupy rather than weight.

I shopped around and ended up with $900.00 for a 4300# machine from WI to FL on a flat bed.

Congrats on the purchase, it's far more machine for the money than the Enco was, that's for sure!!

It was sure nice of Ed to post that info as well!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
EdK

Post by EdK »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Congrats on the purchase, it's far more machine for the money than the Enco was, that's for sure!!

It was sure nice of Ed to post that info as well!
I'm tempted to order one myself. I suppose I could sell my Enco and get at least what the shipping cost for the new mill would be. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that. :idea:

Ed
Morph

Post by Morph »

EdK,
I just Tried the link and it doesnt work anymore. Some one may have bought the last one or they are trying to cover something. Tell me I am just being paranoid.
Bill