For Sale Automatic Cylinder Cocks

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

jessebanning

For Sale Automatic Cylinder Cocks

Post by jessebanning »

We have in stock automatic cylinder cocks with 1/8" pipe or 1/4-28 threads for $125.00 a set of 4. No need for plumbing or linkage. Just thread em in and ready to go.
Attachments
auto cyl drain.JPG
auto cyl drain 2.JPG
auto cyl drain 3.JPG
Last edited by jessebanning on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Caribou Doug

Re: For Sale Automatic Cylinder Cocks

Post by Caribou Doug »

Do you still have the automatic Cylinder Cocks for sale? I am in the proccess of Rebuilding a LE American and will need a set in the next several months.

Regards,

Doug
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Here's a strange question, and excuse my ignorance:

How do these work without a linkage?

Steve
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

SteveM wrote:Here's a strange question, and excuse my ignorance:

How do these work without a linkage?

Steve
Tongue firmly in cheek....very well!

Seriously, they work on the principle of prototype cylinder relief valves. There is a check ball in a chamber that is larger than the ball. When water is present the turbulence in the water keeps the check ball off of its seat allowing the water to be released. Once all of the water and its turbulence is no longer present...the ball snaps up against the seat closing the valve. Full sized railroads used these in conjunction with manually operated cylinder drains. This gave the engineman the ability to open and close the drains when needed. But the relief valves acted as back up in case you had water "carry over" and you had a slug of water enter the cylinders. The relief valves hopefully prevented damage to the cylinders from water carry over.
Keith