Boring Bar Holder Holder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

GlennW

Boring Bar Holder Holder

Post by GlennW » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

I got tired of being cramped when trying to work with small boring bars and misc. round shank tools that were held in a standard tool holder. Seems I always end up having the chuck jaws nearly hitting the tool post or compound.

Purchased a 1" shank ER20 tool holder and a set of collets.

Just put the ER tool holder in a boring bar holder and away you go. That's a little .100" carbide boring bar in there. (be very careful working around these ltiny tools, as they are razor sharp and will sinkt clear to the bone if you bump into them. :oops: )

I chose the ER20 as it will hold from 1/32" to 1/2" tools when using the appropriate collets and had a 1" shank for rigidity.

You can even buy the cheapest crap out there, as runout means nothing since it remains stationary! :)

I have a 1/2" shank ER16 holder that works good for small end millls as well. For example, it gets the quill away from the chuck jaws on the horizontal RT when trying to get close with small end mills etc.

Sometimes they go in the lathe chuck to hold small parts as well when I don't really want to set up the collet closer for one part.

Lots of different uses.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

RSG

Re: Boring Bar Holder Holder

Post by RSG » Tue May 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Very nice Glenn! I had to make a holder for an inside retaining ring pocket trimmer. That collet system would have been so mush faster.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.

JimGlass

Post by JimGlass » Thu May 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Years ago I started buying the DA 100, DA 200 and DA 300 collets and collet chucks. DA stands for double angle. They are really handy and I have also used them for boring bar holders. The small collet chucks are also great for holding tiny endmills for better visability.

The CNC mill I built uses a DA 100 collet chuck for a spindle.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Thu May 12, 2011 9:39 pm

I use NMTB30/DA200 on my first CNC mill, as well as NMTB30/TG75, and they work great. I like the size of the DA's for smaller end mills as the retaining nut is nice and small.

I have CAT40/ER16 and ER32 holders on my newer mill.

Seems that the ER series has grown to be more popular. Not sure why...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!