New stock

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Al_Messer

New stock

Post by Al_Messer »

Current project is a stock from a Wild Cherry tree that grew in my backyard 28 years ago. A couple of knots that were invisible from the exterior have shown themselves, one right above the top of the buttplate, the other on the Right side. I guess that it is a branch that died in infancy and runs diagonally through the stock. I will fill them as I sure don't have 28 years left to dry out a new blank!! Lots of work still to be done and then sanding, sanding, sanding and applying the finish.
Attachments
IMG_0164.JPG
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
alphawolf45

Re: New stock

Post by alphawolf45 »

How does that feel to rasp as compared to walnut? ... I have wild cherry trees in my yard. I cut down and burned a big cherry tree ten years ago, maybe I should have saved a piece of it...'cept the center of the wood is dark and the wide outer band of sapwood is much lighter color...I am thinking you would really need to know what youre doing to end up with a decent blank worth turning into a gunstock.....Hence I rather just watch you build a purty cherry wood stock, dont think I will ever try it myself.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Wild Cherry works about the same as Black Walnut, perhaps is a bit harder. I was furtunate that the tree we cut was 34 inches in diameter at the butt---lots of good solid heartwood. The light colored wood you see will turn dark red in a week or so.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Abner Picklewhite

Post by Abner Picklewhite »

Neat looking project Al. Good on ya. Say, what type of Mauser is that? Looks like a Swedish safety but the cocking piece doesn't ring any bells.

AB
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

It is a 96 Swedish Mauser that I have done some alterations on the firing pin in order to lighten it up a bit. The hinged floorplate is also some of my work, as well as the "Butterknife" handle.
Attachments
IMG_0168.JPG
Last edited by Al_Messer on Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Abner Picklewhite

Post by Abner Picklewhite »

Aha, that explains it. That was one whopping tree from the sounds of it. The only cherry we get wild up here would be a chokecherry and you would be lucky to get a ramrod out of one of those.

Keep us posted with pics will you?

AB