Ruger Type I pistol jector problem

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Ruger Type I pistol jector problem

Post by steamin10 »

My Son is working on a type I Ruger target pistol and it keeps failing to eject teh spent case or pull a loaded case all the way out. With swapping parts from a type II, that has several siferent cuts for other features the problem goes away. it appears that when the case is extracted, the butt of the case slips sideways from the bolt pocket and the extraction hook loses its grip, causing the next round to fail to load with the action full of the last case.

We can buy a new Type II bolt, with its advanced features, but the type I is not available. Is there any way to add material or remachine the pocket? Like Silver solder and cut the pocket?

Anybody do anything like this? The Gun is not very pretty, and has rust pits and so on. We can get it blued for next to nothing, but the function has to be right before we go any farther.

I need help or ideas, besides buying a bolt.

by the way, the type III is diferent, anad has several plastic parts in the action, and are reported by Gunkeys to be your basic JUNK, whiel the I and II are quite good.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Re: Ruger Type I pistol jector problem

Post by hammermill »

dave my question/answers may seem dumb but bear with me

first off clean everything involved ie the bolt,chamber,rcvr around,under and thru the extractor compare the 2 extractors for size and shape
i suspect the extrator has become worn and rounded where it hook over the rim.

check gun parts corp for a replacement also part number 287530c

here is a link to the schematic. look familar

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=8284
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I would suspect that the extractor hook is worn, like has already been noted. Give it a good cleaning, especially the bolt face and the recess where the extractor and its plunger and spring are located before investing in a new bolt. Also make sure that the ammo is not dirty. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Thanks, but, even teh local gunssmith has fooled with it, with no good results. he confirmed the rim pocket is slightly, but visiably worn, allowing the case to move sideways and lose the extraction hook. Swapping bolts eliminated teh problem completely. So that was the question, about rebuilding the pocket or reshaping it, filling..?

A naked bolt is about $30, but thats not the point is it?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

interesting dave if the tolerance is that sloppy

three options seem to present themselves.

remachine the pocket after welding
solder in a new ring to bring the bolt face to a tighter fit and

adjust the fit of the extractor to allow it to swing over more. needle file work

being a softer metal a few center punch blows may move enough material the few thousands needed. on the bolt face

my nickel would be on rebuilding the bolt face with a bushing and soft solder
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, slug the pocket with 1048 and remachine. or something a little better? Like Gr 5 bolt stock? I have lots of bolt shorts, as it is material I use for many small pin and shaft projects. A wafer of this silver soldered in, would be no big deal, and recut the pocket to specs.

That is why I suggested Silver soldering the pocket right off and trimming up the result.

Another apsect is work hold. The cocking lugs on the back may just clear behind a 4 jaw on my 9 in SB, I haven't checked it yet.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

you could chuck the back of the bolt in a 4 jaw and support the front with a ring/spider in a steady rest if its too large for the spindle hole..

i would rough bore the bushing before i parted it off and soldered it into the bolt.

1018 or any milid steel should fill the bill

good luck with it
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I got the pistol in hand now, and to my surprise it seems the extraction hook is the wrong dimension to me. There is a whole lot of clearance when a case is fitted to the bolt. The smith had tried a new one, but it did not change the function. SOoo, I will close up the tolerance here first and see if it improves. my take is the hook should be down on the rim, and not a lot of light showing through.. Stay tuned.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I think that you are on the right track in trying to alter the Extractor instead of jumping in on the bolt face. Every semi-auto .22 I have ever fooled with had a little slop in the bolt face but as long as the "hook" can fully engage the rim, you will be O.K.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"