Daylight GS-4 Mars Light

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

VO4454

Daylight GS-4 Mars Light

Post by VO4454 »

One of the distinct features of the GS-4 and GS-5 class Northerns was the Mars warning signal light. This was the light mounted above the head light. Like the Okadee's, I would have loved to be able to buy one off the shelf and saved time on the build. There is one out there currently, but I was looking for more of an exact copy, so it was off to the drawing and research board. I found patent drawings of the type used on the GS, but no mechanical drawings. I had a general arangement drawing of the smoke box door, but very few dimensions. For those not familar with the Mars light, It is a mechanical light mechanism that creates a lazy figure eight pattern. This is achevied thru a gearbox with a 2 to 1 ratio creating up and down twice for each side to side movement. I found an incredible amount of information at the website posted below. The Mars light gets its name from the Mars candy company. Mr Frank Mars provided funding and the use of machine shop equipment in the development of the various lights designed by Jerry Kennelly. There were also pictures of the 4449 Mars light being converted back to a single large bulb and reflector on the freinds of the 4449 website. That is the version I chose to model rather than the twin sealed beam unit she has had for most of her life. The following picture and drawings was were I started. With that said, on with the build, and if I can figure out how to post video I will.

Vic

http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/
Attachments
A very nice picture provided by Robert Williams
A very nice picture provided by Robert Williams
This unit was slid inside the round light tube welded to the smokebox door.It was rubber mounted and fastened with studs and nuts under the glass lens door
This unit was slid inside the round light tube welded to the smokebox door.It was rubber mounted and fastened with studs and nuts under the glass lens door
MARS 4.gif
MARS 5.gif
Last edited by VO4454 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Re: Daylight GS-4 Mars Light

Post by VO4454 »

The first part I made was the main body of the light that everything would be mounted to. I was not trying to make an exact replica of the mechanism, but more wanted the light, reflector and outside appearance to be accurate and the movement of the light to be correct. The components were made one at a time and this caused some problems as I went along, but not to many parts had to be made twice. What worked on paper did not always translate to metal. I made drawings and then made running changes as I went. All the parts were made on the lathe and mill and are either brass or stainless. The main body was turned then drilled on the mill for the mounting holes and slotted for the hinge fingers that were fabricated. it was then silver soldered in a jig.
Attachments
The hinge fingers were made in 2 pieces one being T shaped with the radius cut to match the the round turnings that will create the hinge pin opening
The hinge fingers were made in 2 pieces one being T shaped with the radius cut to match the the round turnings that will create the hinge pin opening
T shaped plate with radius. fire brick has a slot cut into it to keep finger located while silver soldering
T shaped plate with radius. fire brick has a slot cut into it to keep finger located while silver soldering
First finger soldered this was done at an angle to help keep pieces in place while soldering
First finger soldered this was done at an angle to help keep pieces in place while soldering
All fingers silver soldered. These were then milled to size before being mounted in the body
All fingers silver soldered. These were then milled to size before being mounted in the body
Fingers inserted into body mounted on jig and ready to silver solder
Fingers inserted into body mounted on jig and ready to silver solder
Another veiw prior to brazing
Another veiw prior to brazing
The mounting lugs that are bolted to the jig were turnings that were silver soldered to the body to represent the casting
The mounting lugs that are bolted to the jig were turnings that were silver soldered to the body to represent the casting
Soldered up and ready for some clean up and lathe work.
Soldered up and ready for some clean up and lathe work.
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Main body cleaned and lathe work done on the inside. This is were the outer stationary reflector will slide in. The hinge fingers were then filed to shape to represent the stregthening web as seen in the last photo of the prototype. There are 17 seperate pieces in this assembly.
Attachments
Cleaned and turned
Cleaned and turned
Mars hinge 002.JPG
Hinge fingers were filed to shape These were the T shaped pieces
Hinge fingers were filed to shape These were the T shaped pieces
Mars hinge 004.JPG
Mars hinge 005.JPG
A rear shot of the 4449s' Mars light hinge fingers. Photo courtesy of Grant Carsen
A rear shot of the 4449s' Mars light hinge fingers. Photo courtesy of Grant Carsen
Last edited by VO4454 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

The lens door contains nine seperate pieces. I did not take any individual photos of this piece under construction. the ring was turned and shaped on the lathe. It was then drilled on the mill and the fastening holes were countersunk with an end mill to the first step in the ring. Turnings were then made on the lathe and silver soldered to the ring while being held to the ring with 1/72 bolts. The hinge fingers were made individualy and silver soldered to the o.d. this was done on the same jig used previously for the main body. Slots were milled into the jig to provide the spacing and keep everything square.
Attachments
Fingers have been silver soldered in place and 2 of the 4 turnings have been soldered to the face
Fingers have been silver soldered in place and 2 of the 4 turnings have been soldered to the face
Fingers were blocks milled to size and drilled then soldered in place. They were then shaped with the Dremel and files.
Fingers were blocks milled to size and drilled then soldered in place. They were then shaped with the Dremel and files.
All 4 bosses soldered in place.
All 4 bosses soldered in place.
Cleaned up and filed to shape.
Cleaned up and filed to shape.
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

The gimbal was made next . Both axis were ball bearing mounted . This was probably not really necessary, but I thats what I wanted. I got some very small bearings from Ed Yungling that he had in his shop. The up/down axis is supported on .187 x.046 flanged bearings and the side to side movement is .250 x .125 flanged bearings. The linkage seen is 2/56 sized model airplane ball links made by DuBro. Again all parts were silver soldered. The parts are probably over built, but I wanted the mechanism to last and be reliable. I did not need a scale model of the mechanism, although I still had to fit it in a relativaly small space. Will post more soon.

Vic
Attachments
Reflector mount ring turned and drilled 00/90
Reflector mount ring turned and drilled 00/90
Legs were milled then drilled as a pair ,then bent to shape And silver soldered in place with a 3/16 rod slipped thru hold alignment
Legs were milled then drilled as a pair ,then bent to shape And silver soldered in place with a 3/16 rod slipped thru hold alignment
Pivot tab was soldered next
Pivot tab was soldered next
Reflector mount with bearings linkage and screws
Reflector mount with bearings linkage and screws
Another veiw
Another veiw
Side to side movement showing bearing blocks.These blocks mount into the  main body with 2/56 allen screws. also in picture are shouldered bolts made to fit the .046 flanged bearings
Side to side movement showing bearing blocks.These blocks mount into the main body with 2/56 allen screws. also in picture are shouldered bolts made to fit the .046 flanged bearings
Gimbal assembeled with reflector
Gimbal assembeled with reflector
Another veiw
Another veiw
Last edited by VO4454 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Duty and Humanity
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Damned impressive work, Vic.

Wonderful treatise on prototype modeling.

Thanks,
Brian
TWOFOOT

Post by TWOFOOT »

makinsmoke wrote:Damned impressive work, Vic.

Wonderful treatise on prototype modeling.

Thanks,
Brian
Yeah, what he said. LOL

Chris
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Vic, I have the video that you sent with the article and I'll post for you somehow this afternoon.

I can say I've seen the light in person and it is awesome. When Vic gave me the plans and article to publish I had to see it for myself. Glad you're posting it here too, Vic.

By the way, if you think the pictures of his work are doing the parts justice, then you are mistaken. I saw the hinges this past weekend and the use of the wire for letters he used just blew me away.
Matt Mason
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

The outer reflector was made from aluminum the first time and polished. After talking with Ed Yungling he suggested use stainless. He had a piece and since I "always" listen to his advice, I remade the part. I then asked if he had a big ball bearing I could use to hammer the light reflector around to form it. I was then told it should really be a parabala to properly focus the light beam down the road, and this would make for better lighting. So it was off to the internet again to see how to design a parabolic curve for reflecting light. I drew it in CAD and Ed turned it on his CNC lathe. It was made out of 316 S/S. The inside was machined to almost a mirror finish. We roughed the outside and I took it home and finished it on my trusty 9x20 Enco.
Attachments
This is the outer reflector that slips into the main body.The prototypes'reflector is long gone as it was removed when the dual sealed beam unit was applied. I used photos and the patent drawing to make something that looked and worked good.Artistic license if you will
This is the outer reflector that slips into the main body.The prototypes'reflector is long gone as it was removed when the dual sealed beam unit was applied. I used photos and the patent drawing to make something that looked and worked good.Artistic license if you will
The moving light relector. Made on the CNC and manual lathe.
The moving light relector. Made on the CNC and manual lathe.
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

The next parts made were the hinge pins for the door and the closing thumbscrews for the door. The thumbscrews are brass and threaded 1/72. They were fabricated on the lathe and mill.They were turned, threaded and shaped in the lathe, then held in a collet and slit to recieve the wing, then silver soldered. I final shaped with a file. The hinge pins were done in the same manner except they were made from stainless and are not threaded.
Attachments
Mars thumb 001.JPG
Mars thumb 002.JPG
Mars thumb 003.JPG
Mars thumb 004.JPG
Mars thumb 005.JPG
Mars thumb 006.JPG
Before slotting
Before slotting
Slot cut
Slot cut
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

This group of pictures shows how I held the pieces while silver soldering and shaping. I drilled a hole in the fire brick to hold the shafts while heating. This also prevented any overheating and possible melting of the threads.
Attachments
Ready for brazing. I drilled a hole in the fire brick to keep part vertical while silver soldering
Ready for brazing. I drilled a hole in the fire brick to keep part vertical while silver soldering
Silver soldered and ready to shape
Silver soldered and ready to shape
One finished  3 to go
One finished 3 to go
Ready to braze
Ready to braze
Brazed and ready to shape I used the tailstock chuck to hold the parts while I filed them to shape.
Brazed and ready to shape I used the tailstock chuck to hold the parts while I filed them to shape.
One down
One down
Finished parts
Finished parts
For Duty and Humanity
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Here we have the pieces made so far assembled, but no gear train yet or light bulb The tube slips into the smoke box door with a light press fit and is secured with an allen cap screw inside and out of sight.

Vic
Attachments
Assy 001.JPG
Assy 002.JPG
Assy 003.JPG
Assy 004.JPG
For Duty and Humanity