Maxitrax on TV

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Post Reply
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 am
Contact:

Maxitrax on TV

Post by Harlock » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:06 am

Apparently this aired on the Science Channel recently, on "How It's Made"



Very much for the lay audience. Sometimes the voiceover is amusing. But overall a good show of what makes up a live steamer for the novice.
San Lorezo Flume & Lumber Co. #2 - "Felton"
Live Steam Photography and more - www.mikemassee.com
Contributing Editor, Live Steam Magazine
Webmaster, Allen Models of Nevada

Ray Cadd
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 am
Location: Arcadia, Ca

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by Ray Cadd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm

That is very cool. A good friend of mine has a very old Maxitrak Pearl we've been working on. It was a kit build, and whoever put it together...well, you know.
Ray Cadd

2.5" scale Allen Chloe saddle tank
2.5" scale RMI switcher
2.5" scale LE "Crab"
4.75" ga. O.S. "Koppel"
3.5" ga. "Fanny"
asst. ga1...

User avatar
kc6uvm
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by kc6uvm » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Interesting to watch. Video seemed overly simplistic. Next, the lay person will ask "how much?"

And, I've always had a problem with "train set." :roll:

Don't mind me, just blowing off steam. :wink:
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.

User avatar
FredR
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:49 am
Location: Cedar Park, Texas, USA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by FredR » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I recorded it. They call it 'Garden Railroading", but in my opinion, G scale is garden.... sometimes it makes you wonder if they really know what they are talking about....

User avatar
BAdams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm
Location: Moreno Valley, CA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by BAdams » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:05 pm

HA!
FredR - on some of their episodes I couldn't agree more!
Maybe they should do a how it's made on "How It's Made".


Brook

Harold_V
Posts: 17687
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by Harold_V » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:01 am

FredR wrote:I recorded it. They call it 'Garden Railroading", but in my opinion, G scale is garden.... sometimes it makes you wonder if they really know what they are talking about....
One man's opinion! (Not yours---the guy that said it was gardening railroading). I expect he's not up to date on many things about which he may speak. We see that a lot in life---self proclaimed experts that love to lecture. A shame when they are the ones that should be doing the listening.

Still, it was fun to watch. Made it look like anyone could build an engine over a long weekend.

Oh, yeah! That's going to happen. :lol:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
Bruce_Mowbray
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:45 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by Bruce_Mowbray » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:09 am

Nice introductory video. There are plenty of people out there who have never seen or never knew that riding scale model trains exist. This is a great way to get new people into the hobby, even if it only brings a few. A few is better than none. Perhaps some may be put off by the price of riding scale trains, but there are plenty of folks out there who have some spare play money they would like to part with. I couldn't think of a better way to get rid of some wallet clutter.
In England (and perhaps other countries) a garden railroad is just that. It's a railroad in the garden in which the scale is larger than the typical model train size. Many times they are riding scale railroads.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works

mattmason
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by mattmason » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 pm

FredR wrote:They call it 'Garden Railroading", but in my opinion, G scale is garden.... sometimes it makes you wonder if they really know what they are talking about....
Remember Maxitrak is in England. Their backyards are "gardens", even if there are no plants. All railroads in the yard in England, G or larger, are Garden Railways.
Matt Mason

Harold_V
Posts: 17687
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by Harold_V » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:48 am

mattmason wrote: All railroads in the yard in England, G or larger, are Garden Railways.
Makes sense!
Thanks.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
FredR
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:49 am
Location: Cedar Park, Texas, USA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by FredR » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Just last night, I was watching do they do it and they were at an US freight yard with a hump. They started of calling the freight cars.... "carriages"..... been ok if they were in Europe!! no offense to our oversea members :-)

BAdams wrote:HA!
FredR - on some of their episodes I couldn't agree more!
Maybe they should do a how it's made on "How It's Made".


Brook

Harold_V
Posts: 17687
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by Harold_V » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:44 pm

FredR wrote:Just last night, I was watching do they do it and they were at an US freight yard with a hump. They started of calling the freight cars.... "carriages"..... been ok if they were in Europe!! no offense to our oversea members :-)
Chuckle!
They do use terms that are somewhat strange to us, eh?
Swarf----chips to those of us that worked in the industry. One does not order a swarf remover for his CNC--he orders a chip conveyer.
Bonnet. A hat for ladies, although they find one on their car (the hood).
Boot. Something one finds on his foot----but they have one on their car (trunk).
Miller. We call it a mill.

There's more---lots more. Some terms we find perfectly acceptable can be vulgar in England.

It's amazing how English can be so diverse. You say tomato, I say tomahto. :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

6491
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Bribie Island.

Re: Maxitrax on TV

Post by 6491 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 am

When I was A kid watching early TV. I use to think cookies were something fancy untill I realised they were just plain old buscuits. Don't worry they still bombard us with U.S. canned laughter sit-coms, somethings just don't change.
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.

Post Reply