Sweet William steam locomotive discussion

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Sweet William steam locomotive discussion

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

So, let me say up front that I already have way more projects on "the list" then I can possibly accomplish and this thread is more for investigation and research then serious planning. But, my wife has been taken with larger scale (2.5, 3.75, etc.) engines running on 7.25" gauge track. And I love British-outline engines.

From what I understand, the Sweet William is the Sweet Pea designed to run on 7.25/7.5" track. Some variations have tenders, some don't. Occasionally they have a third driving axle, a trailing pony truck, or both. Some rarely have a different form of valve gear. Also, some have saddle tanks, occasionally they have other arrangements. After having read the recent (past year or two) article in Live Steam and seeing how simple they appear to be I am interested in learning more. I have a couple of questions, though:

1.) Can the design be used for coal firing? I thought I read somewhere that if "yes" then the boiler had to be changed to a standard-design boiler. Probably not an issue aside from cost/manufacturing, but can anyone comment on this?

2.) Can someone point to any builders who have constructed the engine with the tender? A google search pulled up one person in Britain, and no one here in the USA. For such a popular design, surely others must have them.

3.) A few vendors sell laser-cut parts for the engine both here and in the UK. I have also seen plans for sale. Aside from the cylinders and wheels, are their any other critical castings that need to be purchased or is it mostly just fabricated from stock?

4.) Finally, I am most interested in a small-tender engine variation with preferably side tanks (like a Roundhouse live steamer, such as "Lady Anne", "Charles Pooter", "Russel", an Accucraft "Edrig", etc.) Can anyone point me to pictures of such a creation? I am not a big fan of saddle tank engines... and yes, I know a tender is somewhat silly with an engine with saddle or side tanks but oh well.

I have access to the book on the construction of the Sweet Pea from the local live steam library, though I wish I could find a copy to purchase myself that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I also applied to the Yahoo group but in looking through their back posts there weren't a lot on these subjects.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Ben
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
AndrewP

Re: Sweet William steam locomotive discussion

Post by AndrewP »

Ben,
I am not familiar with Sweet William but know of several Sweet Peas so assuming it is simply a larger version then the marine boiler is intended for coal firing as originally designed - there is precious little else here.
Have you come across this page ? might give you some ideas.
People seem to use the basic design as a springboard for their own style so what you propose sounds ideal.

Andy
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i am currently building a SW engine. it's running on air and has a copper boiler from the UK. i have collected quite a few pics of different SW engines and can send them to you. send me a PM with e-mail address and i'll send them along.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
David_T

Post by David_T »

A couple 0-4-0's, the 'Elda' and the 'Lyndam' where construction articles in 'Live Steam. They are tank types with tenders for the engineer. A Porter, the 'Marie Estelle' was also in 'Live Steam as a series.
Reference material!
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi,

I've just started to build a sweet William, I think it's a nice simple loco which will be easy to build and run, if it goes anywhere as good as the sweet pea it's based on then it will be a great loco.

Jeffrey
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. And Fred, PM sent for the pictures.
steron567

Post by steron567 »

http://modelsteamrailways.webs.com/ has castings, laser cut plate parts and plans for the Sweet William here in the U.S. His prices seem quite reasonable. From what I've seen and read on that page, he has plans and parts for an 0-4-0, with tank or tender, an 0-4-2 and is working on a 6 drivered version.
Steve R.
Certified train nut!
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

steron567 wrote:http://modelsteamrailways.webs.com/ has castings, laser cut plate parts and plans for the Sweet William here in the U.S. His prices seem quite reasonable. From what I've seen and read on that page, he has plans and parts for an 0-4-0, with tank or tender, an 0-4-2 and is working on a 6 drivered version.
he is the same guy that has this web site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SweetWilliamLocomotive/

i believe he now has cyl castings too.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

here is the one i bought.
Attachments
PICT0059.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks, I saw the link provided for the laser cut parts and reached out to him via his website. Just awaiting him to respond. I also joined his Yahoo group. Out of curiousity, anyone know of a Sweet William or Sweet Pea operating in the North East region of the US?

Edit: he finally responded to me and told me that he only sold the laser-cut parts in the batches listed, meaning he won't just do frame pieces, etc. I guess I don't blame him.
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Wood

Post by Tom Wood »

Hi.
I am the new-be here but not to the sweet william or "Billy" as mine is called. I built Billy 10 years ago and this week I have started to dismantle him to remove the boiler, not that he needed it but our U.K. legislation requires it.
The boiler is steel and built to original drawings which did not include a dome To anyone looking for an easy to build workhorse, requiring minimal maintenance and having no vices, I would say look no further.
I have steamed in the U.K, and Europe without a problem, using pond water and rubbish coal and the loco has never faulted. The only replacements required in that time have been fire bars and O rings. I make my own firebars from 1/2" square mild steel with 3/8" spaces and a set lasts me a year. O rings are always Viton (the white ones) and I have replaced them twice in the pumps and cylinders.
Any changes I have made are because of personal preference, not because of the original failing.
I have never liked the narrow saddle tanks on locos and mine is the full width of the loco giving it a much more chunky look and larger capacity. The brake is a lever type, simply because I got annoyed with myself not knowing which direction was on.
Our standard club riding car seats 4 adults or 6 children and the loco is quite happy hauling 3 of these all day, I am sure this is not the limit but believe that you should never flog a willing horse. My tender is a double seat which allows me to get the juniors up front which gives them the feel and sight of the loco when learning to drive. Inside is the 5 gal water tank for the injector and the air system for the brakes, a very good and simple system.
If I knew how to put photos on here I would but for any one interested Email me on wood9np@btinternet.com
and I will reply with attachment.
Hope this encourages some one.
Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wood on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Tom Wood wrote:If I knew how to put photos on here I would but
Very easy! Below the box in which you enter text (when making a post), look for a broad blue line (I'm assuming you are using subsilver2 as your board choice) that has Upload attachment written within, in the center. Click the Browse button, which will permit you to explore your computer to find where pictures are stored. Follow instructions (select the proper picture and click the appropriate buttons---all pretty much self explanatory).

Alternately, you can link to pictures stored off the Chaski site. If that becomes your choice, please ensure that they don't display larger than 800 pixels in width. Pictures that exceed that width cause text spread for readers with older monitors, making it very inconvenient for them to read. When such pictures are posted, they will either be deleted, or the post altered so the link must be clicked to be viewed.

Welcome to the forum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.