3" scale D&RG inspired boxcar

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

3" scale D&RG inspired boxcar

Post by Harlock »

My father and I have begun construction of a 3" scale D&RG-inspired boxcar to act as a propane and brake tender for our MEG Steam Wendy. I'm never one to color between the lines, so I took Jeff Smith's 1 1/2" scale plans, doubled them and then changed the final length from 80" down to 60" in scale, and narrowed it to 20" wide, but kept the correct scale height from the original. This is set to look good with the Wendy and her extra-small prototype stature, she is tall, narrow and short from end to end.

I will be doing metal RP printings of the Camel Co door hanger and related castings as this is a one-off.

The hardware on the car will match the 'rebuilt' 3000 series boxcar circa 1924 with the fancy door latch and all that.

We chose the D&RG car as a reference to have something to work with for detail. In this way we'll end up with something credible that looks like a real boxcar, but narrow gauged in a 2-foot sort of way.

Here's the beginnings of the frame. It's per prototype but condensed and shortened. Couplers, pockets and pocket fascias are from RMI. Unfortunately I pretty much got the last of the good stuff when I was there last, they had to pull these wide pockets off of some caboose ends that they were never going to sell and that run of couplers came from a high quality older batch that I bought used-but-unused. The newer couplers I got for some other cars are pretty rough in terms of casting quality, ground off spots everywhere. These on the other hand are perfect.

The couplers are set up to be compatible with 2 1/2" scale equipment.

Off we go!
Attachments
11-07-24_mill-2178.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2179.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2181.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2627.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2628.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2630.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2631.jpg
11-07-24_mill-2633.jpg
Last edited by Harlock on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Re: 3" scale D&RG inspired boxcar

Post by Harlock »

One last one of the trussrods. There will be no inner sets of trussrods as there is no room on the shortened and narrowed car.

By the way, those trucks came with the old tender car that was scrapped. I still can't figure out who makes those trucks, or if they are still available. They are an inexpensive cast approximation of arch bar trucks in 2 1/2" scale.

-Mike
Attachments
11-07-24_mill-2634.jpg
sabin

Post by sabin »

Hi Mike
The car is lookin' good. You and your dad do very impressive work. I like your " selective compression" approach to design. Whose turnbuckles did you use and what size are they? Tell us about your framing lumber. I look foreword to double heading with you someday.
Jim
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Mike,

Nice to see more wooden equipment under construction.

I notice that the coupler pocket seems to fit the tubing like it was made for a perfect fit. Was the casting designed to fit the tubing in question?

I have given thought to the same style of coupler pocket manufacture for the next caboose project.

Will you have the work in progress at Bittercreek next month?

Robert
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Rwilliams wrote:Mike,

Nice to see more wooden equipment under construction.

I notice that the coupler pocket seems to fit the tubing like it was made for a perfect fit. Was the casting designed to fit the tubing in question?

I have given thought to the same style of coupler pocket manufacture for the next caboose project.

Will you have the work in progress at Bittercreek next month?

Robert
Robert,

The coupler pocket fascia and the pocket square tube setup are made to go together yes, both from RMI. RMI did still have a good sized box of the fascia castings if you want to get a set from them. They have two sizes, a narrow and a wide, so be sure which one to specify, these are the wide ones.

By the way the lower slot on the pockets is for a 1 1/2" coupler, in case I want to couple up to some riding cars that have that on board or emergency tow of 1 1/2" locomotive or something. Kind of a neat design. I have one more photo of that stuff, I'll post it up tonight.

The car will not be at Bitter Creek. He doesn't like to let things leave the shop until they're finished. Sorry...
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

sabin wrote:Hi Mike
The car is lookin' good. You and your dad do very impressive work. I like your " selective compression" approach to design. Whose turnbuckles did you use and what size are they? Tell us about your framing lumber. I look foreword to double heading with you someday.
Jim
They are aluminum and temporary, from Home Desperate. We are on the lookout for something more old timey, or will make some.

frames are poplar with oak end beams. (corrected: said Birch instead of poplar before) Siding is white pine.

Yes, definitely double header action. You should go to the Train Mountain Triennial. :)

See you at BCW in two weeks?

-M
Last edited by Harlock on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
sabin

Post by sabin »

See ya at BCW in 2 weeks. I'll be there Fri. & Sat. with Uncle Sam.
Jim
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Harlock wrote: Unfortunately I pretty much got the last of the good stuff when I was there last, they had to pull these wide pockets off of some caboose ends that they were never going to sell and that run of couplers came from a high quality older batch that I bought used-but-unused.
So RMI does not have anything else "good" for anybody else to buy?

Ten feet away from the caboose ends was a cart with many more wide pockets. And they do have the ability to make more. The caboose ends will be used on a caboose.

David Rohrer
Last edited by srrl5 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Harlock wrote:
The coupler pocket fascia and the pocket square tube setup are made to go together yes, both from RMI. RMI did still have a good sized box of the fascia castings if you want to get a set from them. They have two sizes, a narrow and a wide, so be sure which one to specify, these are the wide ones.
RMI does own the pattern and has an Aluminum foundry on premise to make as many castings as needed.

David Rohrer
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Dave, I think the person helping me perhaps did not know where to look? We looked for a while and did not turn up any others.
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

What kind of wood are you using Mike? It looks very clear and clean.

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

pwcphoto wrote:What kind of wood are you using Mike? It looks very clear and clean.

Phil
Poplar with oak for the end beams, white pine for the siding.
Last edited by Harlock on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.