Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

Post by Cary Stewart »

I have been looking at pages in this site but can find no clue as to how I can contact you off line. A little help please. Thanks Cary
Fender

Post by Fender »

Pipescs wrote:Does anyone have a photo of how the extension was done on other models? The factory drawing is over complicated and I am trying to simplify the part to be able to machine it from stock and plate.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a photo of the joint between the main frame and rear frame extension on my mikado. This frame was built by Bob Holder of Rogers-Cooke.
The rear frame extension has a vertical slot about 3/16" deep and about 1" wide milled into it. The rear of the main frame has a corresponding projection, which is a tight fit into the slot. The two pieces are held together by a flat-head socket head cap screw and lock nut. I plan to cover up the shcs with a thin plate with simulated frame bolts like the prototype locomotive. This is a very rigid structure. There will also be a frame cross-tie above this joint, that supports the front of the firebox.
Attachments
FrameJointAnnotated.JPG
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Cary Stewart wrote:I have been looking at pages in this site but can find no clue as to how I can contact you off line. A little help please. Thanks Cary
Readers can not access the email address of other readers via the board. Have you considered sending a private message through the board to the party you wish to contact? You didn't make it clear who it was. Note that private messages are just that---private. Moderators and administrators do not have access. You can converse in total privacy.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Cary I sent you a PM with my contact information.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Well here I sit in a hotel in Maryland.

I am suppose to be working on the drawings for the Rear Frame Extension but it continues to be a challenge.

I took a few hours tonight and cleaned up a drawing that is part of the set to machine out Roger Goldmann's Cylinder and Baker valve Gear.

Roger does not per say sell his parts as his primary product is a USRA Pacific that comes running on air. His intent is that the buyer will do all the detail work to finish it.

He will sell parts to scratch builders and does provide a basic set of drawings showing minimal information. As the drawings are for his use they left me a little confused in areas. He has been kind enough to go over them with me on the phone and I am producing a set of drawings that will include his information and any changes I have to make to them to get the pre-heater to work. I evision this will work ot to around 10 sheets like this one.
801Cylinder Model (1).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Frame Extension is coming along nicely as I have managed to clear my head and break it up into small parts.

Question. Where would I find 10 inch pipe or tubing in a short length for a smoke box?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
kvom

Post by kvom »

Your head is in small parts now? :D :?:
Fender

Post by Fender »

Pipescs wrote:Question. Where would I find 10 inch pipe or tubing in a short length for a smoke box?
Although there are online suppliers that will sell you a short length of tubing or pipe, the shipping will be wicked. You will be able to get it for much less locally. Are you looking for 10" O.D. tubing or 10.750" (nominal 10") pipe? I bought a piece of 10" pipe from SIMMS Metal in Richmond, VA (scrap dealer), but this won't help you much in AL. This is a pretty common size, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a piece in a scrapyard.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Ten inch OD.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Ok

Lets rethink this.

I based the 10inch od based on the casting drawings provided by Roger Goldmann.

When I rescale the Drawings from the Fitt book I come out with a diameter of 10.53.

Is this possible with Pipe or tubing on the market?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Fender

Post by Fender »

A friend brought over a piece of 10 inch pipe (10.75) for his smokebox, and turned it down a little in my big lathe. That's what I would suggest you do, just take off .220 from the diameter. It will look better turned down anyway. He put a spider into one end and supported that end in the tailstock. Ten-inch schedule 40 pipe should be real easy to find.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I was just researching the pipe on line. This looks to be the routeI will take.

The Goldmann casting has plenty of meat to change the radius for the smokebox-cylinder casting mate up.

Back to the frame extension drawing. I have a week and a half more here to work so I am hoping to have it done when I leave here. May be four sheets of 24x36
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American