Match reaming A 10 -22

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Randall Va

Match reaming A 10 -22

Post by Randall Va »

I want to rechamber a 10 22 using a match reamer,I have a Bentz reamer,how does one go about it?
Thanks Randall
www.chaski.com
hammermill

Re: Match reaming A 10 -22

Post by hammermill »

a match reamer i suspect is tighter and shorter than a regular reamer, plan on setting the barrel back,or replacing.

to confirm carefully check the deminsions of the various reamers from the rental place

some folks like a longer distance from rim to lands in the barrel others like the bullet seated right at the lands.

your barrel is plessed in by a block and allen screw in most cases.

i have seen others thread or press and pin the barrel. hope this helps
Randall Va

Post by Randall Va »

Thanks Randall
www.chaski.com
Ron of Va

Post by Ron of Va »

Randall
A match 22 reamer is designed for bolt action rifles. It imprints the lands on the end of the bullet thereby giving the bullet a good start, and exceptional accuracy.

A match reamer will cause problems with your 10/22. First: Trying to extract a live round from the chamber will be difficult because the imprint will grip the bullet, and the extractor usually just slips off the rim of the case leaving the live round in the chamber.

Second, the bullet in a 10/22 is seated by the guide rod’s recoil spring. Sometimes the spring will not fully seat the bullet in the chamber because it is not strong enough to fully imprint the end of the bullet. This can lead to misfires, or worse, the bullet fires with some of the case hanging out of the chamber, which will blow powder and fire out the side of the ejection port. It will be pretty loud too.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My son bought a SS steel heavy barrel with flutes for about $90. He installed it himslef with the block system Ruger Uses and it shoots very close groups.
I would recommend it for an incremental improvement in shooting.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.