steel for black powder barrels

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

homebrew .357

steel for black powder barrels

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Guys, whats the best typ of steel for B/Powder barrels, I have some aisi 1045 , just down from 4140, it`s hard to cut. Bill Webb talks about 1140 as beening ease to cut but no good for high power rifles,would it be ok for B/Powder. Green Mountain barrels use 1137 I think.
I like the 1140, ease to cut, even thouth I`m going to use T/C tip drill . :?: thanks.
Al_Messer

Re: steel for blackpoweder barrels

Post by Al_Messer »

Well, I'm no expert, but given the lower pressures of Black Powder, I would feel safe in using ordinary Hot Rolled or Cold Rolled Steel for the barrel project. I cannot remember where, but I have seen octagon stock for sale on the 'Net. Good luck and keep us posted.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
homebrew .357

Re: steel for black powder barrels

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Al, I think I will stick to the 1140,or 1137 stuff if I can get it here in NZ, but will try the 1045 as I have a length of it. In USA you guys can get anything but down here theres no octagoal steel I have found yet, so will keep on hunting. :)
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

There was a noted barrelmaker in East Tennessee at the first quarter of the last century that made his own barrels from scrap. He rough forged them round, and his Daughter drawfiled them into an Octagon shape each afternoon after school. It was said that she was the champion arm wrestler in her high school.....!

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

I just don`t beleve it, that`s realy doing it the hard way. By the way I have made from scratch a left handed hammer and action for this hawkins rifle with double set triggers, well I`m a south paw shooter. So all I have to do now is to hire a Oxy/Ace gas set and braze on the T/C tips for the gundrill and give it a go. Have been trying to send some pics buy no go. :(
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

His name was Hecker Martin, and I read about him in Ned Robert's book: "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". Sadly, I am afraid it is out of print now, unless it has been reprinted.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

I am reading along hoping to see some pictures and hear a good story or two..
RickBarb

Post by RickBarb »

Al, His name was Hacker Martin. There is a nice little write up about him and other old time gunsmith's in volume 5 of the Foxfire series which was published back in the 70's.

Rick
Al_Messer

Re: steel for black powder barrels O/T Irene

Post by Al_Messer »

Rick, have you picked out a good dry place of safety for Sunday??

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
RickBarb

Post by RickBarb »

Al, We decided to ride it out. It was really pretty much of a bust on our part of the Cape (East Harwich). We did lose power Sun AM and just got it back early Mon PM. We had virtually no rain, and the winds were gusty, but no damage to either the house or any of our trees. I was surprised at the amount of sunshine. The sun was out much of the time while the storm was at it's peak (Mid Afternoon}. Lots of power outages because of wind, but not much property damage. All in all, a pretty mild storm for us.
Rick