Space around lathe question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

SteveM

Re: Space around lathe question

Post by SteveM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I like Dave's idea for a rolling toolbox.

The rear clearance just seems silly, unless it actually is for a push broom, as Dave says.

The clearance to watch for is at the headstock end for feeding things through. You can play with that by having something there that is movable, or that just doesn't take up the space in line with the spindle, such as having the mill on that side such that the work piece goes in front or behind the mill (or goes across the table so that you can use it as a steady for really long pieces).

Steve

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I have all my machines, joiner, wood band saw, planner, table saw and Shopmaster 3-in-1 on mobile base units. They are something I found in a woodworking catalog years ago (I just looked quickly but could not find a reference.) Each base has 4 corner units with a gusset on the bottom, plus 4 ¾ by 2” tubes to connect the corners. Two of the corners have a roller wheel on the back. The roller is positioned so that it is off the floor when the gussets are on the floor. The machine sets on the gussets so when it is not in motion it is as stable as it would be without the mover. Finally there is a second part, sold separately, that is a handle with two wheels and base hook, where the handle is used whatever machine needs to be moved.

To move a machine the handle hook is inserted under the frame on the side opposite the roller wheels. The handle is then used to pry up one side about ¾ inch. That is enough to raise the gussets off the floor and the machine then rolls on the two base rollers plus the two handle wheels. I’m sure the manufacturer recommends the unit for machines weighting less than 800 or 1000#s. My planner is in that range and I can move it out from the wall and swivel it as needed for in-feed and out-feed clearance. But the Shopmaster is 1500 or 2000# and that is not easily moved with the handle. But like you I only want to store the machine against the wall and pull it out 2 feet when I need to access the back side (mostly for cleaning.) For that basic move the system does handle the heavy machine.

If this interests you are anyone else I could spend a couple of hours tomorrow or Wed to find a reference. However, if nobody is interested I don’t want to waste the time.

Tom

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Tom--

Could you just post a picture? I think I understand the idea. The lathe I am looking at weighs 1300lbs.

--Bill
You are what you write.

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:53 am

On the headstock end, I had my 20" VSG drill press squeezed in, and a bin rack beyond that against the left wall. With longer stock, it would pass between the drill press spindle and the column after lowering the table to miss the drill press cross slide and vise. I had a spider on the back of the spindle to help stabilize, and I bolted (rigged) the steady rest to the drill press table to keep the stock from bending and turning into a giant 7.5 hp egg beater. Once I even had to remove a couple of bins from the rack to make room for long stock, ran that one real slow. Sure is nice having more room now...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:14 am

Russ--

Ha, ha! I am going to quit complaining about space! :)

--Bill
You are what you write.

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 pm

This should give you some feel for what I was describing, and how tight things can be packed...

Click to open, click the resulting image for full size.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Russ--

Seeing your setup gives me confidence that I can make that lathe fit . . . easily.

My scenario has the kitchen door to the left of the lathe. More importantly, my wife's Grand Cherokee is also to the left of the lathe. Fortunately, the spindle end (the left side; what do you call it?) will miss the new hemi Jeep by a couple of feet. (I don't machine when the Jeep is home.)

On the right is the mill, almost exactly like in your picture. However, I have a nice five foot wide recess to the right of the mill. I can turn the mill 90* and slide it right in that 32" deep recess. The table will easily clear the front of the recess and the head will clear the recess if I decide to tilt it.

Here's a picture. The cabinent is currently in the recess. I'll take that out and stick the mill in.
02-23-08 Storage-c.JPG
--Bill
You are what you write.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:41 pm

seal killer wrote:Tom--

Could you just post a picture? I think I understand the idea. The lathe I am looking at weighs 1300lbs.

--Bill
I'm not too good with posting pictures as I do it so rarely that I forget the rain dance. But I took the pictures, put them on my computer and used paint to reduce the resolution. Finallly I attached them but I don't know if they will be displayed as 1-2-3 or 3-2-1.

Tom
Attachments
Bandsaw_SW.JPG
But here I've pulled out the band saw and I'm showing the handle hooked under the ring added by the factory.
Shopmaster_SW.JPG
In the second picture I'm showing the a base under the much heavier Shopmaster. Here I used the base intended for a big tablesaw with the extension table. But I used the middle sections to support the middle legs on the Shopmaster. In general the factory designs so that the handle goes on the short end but that would not work for pulling a big machine from and to the wall. So in the second picture you can see where I added an eye bolt to allow the handle to work from the long side.
Shopmaster_wheel.JPG
Finally in the third picture I showed just a corner piece with the roller wheel. Each kit includes two corners with wheels and 2 corners without wheels.

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Tom--

The pictures are perfect.

Thank you for posting them. They are thought provoking!

--Bill
You are what you write.

ML

Post by ML » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Bill,

Here is how I move my mill. A couple of square steel bars turned ends with 620X bearings. Adjust the levelers a little and I can move the 2200# very easily, like watch out if your garage floor is sloped. The back of my lathe is very close to the wall.
Michael
Attachments
Picture C1 008.jpg