Postwarbob's favorite but elusive locomotive.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

keyrouteken

Postwarbob's favorite but elusive locomotive.

Post by keyrouteken »

Hi everybody. Brand new member checking in. Wanted to send greetings to all and to kind of "tease" Postwarbob by attaching a photo of one of his favorite, but most elusive locomotives, he would love to have in his collection.

It is a Southern Pacific 4-6-2 Class P-4 "Pacific-type" with vanderbilt tender, all brass, 3 1/2 gauge, built in 1953. More details provided on request. The locomotive has easily pulled twelve adults using four flatcars, with six children sitting in their laps.
Built over a three-year period using rough castings and raw materials by the late "Victor Shattock", well-known West Coast live steam pioneer. This engine is but one of twenty+ locomotives that "Vic" built in his lifetime.
The full size steam locomotive whistle pictured with the model came from the prototype SP 2422 locomotive. Enjoy this look back !

Ken
Attachments
Vic2422d.jpg
Postwarbob

Re: Postwarbob's favorite but elusive locomotive.

Post by Postwarbob »

Ken Welcome to Chaski. Maybe this post will turn up where this loco is. Yes , I would like to own it considering how many miles I put on it at the GGLS facility. You can post the 1/2" engine I bought that Vic built in 1937 if you would like. I'm sure the Chaski boys and girls will enjoy the history you have in you library. Interest in small scales is coming back. I guess it's because we are getting older and they are easier to move around. LOL. Bob...........
keyrouteken

Re: Postwarbob's favorite but elusive locomotive.

Post by keyrouteken »

Here is another "Vic Shattock" locomotive in 1/2-inch scale, 2 1/2 inch gauge.
Baltimore & Ohio # 5300 "President Washington" 4-6-2. Vic built this engine as part of a joint project with GGLS member "Al Hopkins" in the 1934--1936 time frame.
It was featured in an article in a 1936 copy of "The Modelmaker" magazine.

Earlier in 2011, the widow and family turned up at a GGLS function and said that her husband had recently passed away and left some train things they would like to sell.
"Postwarbob" bought # 5300 without blinking and member Sheldon Yee bought Vic's British Stirling-single. Lucky they were at the track that day, huh ?

Ken.
Attachments
B&O "President Washingon" #5300 built by Vic Shattock and Al Hopkins.
B&O "President Washingon" #5300 built by Vic Shattock and Al Hopkins.
And here is the British "Stirling Single" that Vic built, that GGLS member Sheldon Yee had a chance to grab.
And here is the British "Stirling Single" that Vic built, that GGLS member Sheldon Yee had a chance to grab.