MOI - Cad Program and a Collet Rack

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

mattgatten

MOI - Cad Program and a Collet Rack

Post by mattgatten »

I was suggesting that those who are on a budget, might look into MOI (Moment of Inspiration) for their CAD needs. It's a really powerful little program and it's small enough to run from a flash drive. No installation needed! I pop it in any computer in sight (even the CNC rig) and work on stuff when I need to.

Someone asked if it allowed for numerical input on dimensions. The answer to that would be yes. I created the following collet rack in about 5 minutes using it. I used numerical inputs for the holes for the collets, radii on the corners, angle on the top, etc. Here's the kicker. MOI is only $195.00

Here are pictures of the rack I drew. I'm happy with how it came out. I couldn't help but stick some collets in there to see if it would work for me. I cut it on my CNC router from 1/2 MDF. It will probably get a 'more permanent' material next. Or both!

Disclaimer: I don't work for them. I just like it when there's a good product that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to own.

wader

Re: MOI - Cad Program and a Collet Rack

Post by wader »

Does anyone know if MOI will work directly with Mach3?
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

wader wrote:Does anyone know if MOI will work directly with Mach3?
The answer should be on their website.
Otherwise, I see they have a forum where you could ask.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Does anyone know if MOI will work directly with Mach3?
If MOI also does CAM there is probably a setting to generate g-code that MACH3 will
accept.

Matt did not mention if MOI also did CAM. CAM software could be a separate investment.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com