Shoptask 1720 XM TC Picture Request

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

Shoptask 1720 XM TC Picture Request

Post by LX Kid »

I bought a CNC equiped 3-In-One, 1720 XM TC made in 1993. If someone has pictures of the change gear box compoenants they could share I would greatly appreciate it. All my parts were removed when it was converted to CNC and would like to see how the change gears fit and the what other parts are missing. Got a manual from Shoptask but no pictures just some lame drawings. Thanks
mixdenny

Re: Shoptask 1720 XM TC Picture Request

Post by mixdenny »

Here you go.

Dennis
Attachments
GEARS.jpg
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

mixdenny wrote:Here you go.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis! Is yours a newer modle than my 1993 model? Yours kinda looks like a Partriot model or something differant than mine. Ron

mixdenny

Post by mixdenny »

LX Kid wrote:
mixdenny wrote:Here you go.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis! Is yours a newer model than my 1993 model? Yours kinda looks like a Partriot model or something differant than mine. Ron
Mine is from 2000 and was the last version of the older units. The main difference is the addition of the high/low belt drive on the bottom, the gear train for the feeds should be the same.

Dennis
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Thanks Dennis. I'll see what's missing on mine. Regards
zardoz991

Post by zardoz991 »

Ron

Here is a picture of my XMTC 1991 vintage.

Let me know if you want pictures of individual parts.

Cheers

Kurt
Attachments
Shoptaskgears.jpg
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

zardoz991 wrote:Ron

Here is a picture of my XMTC 1991 vintage.

Let me know if you want pictures of individual parts.

Cheers

Kurt
Thank you very much for the picture. I kinda put machining on the back burner all summer because of the heat out in the shop. Just this past week I've been out there doing some little projects with the cooler weather. Thanks again, Ron
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Thanks to all for helping me out with the pics!!!!! Now I'd like to see if you will share some pics of what's mising from the front of the machine. Looks like the clam shell works is missing from the saddle and something missing on the left end of the lead screw. Thanks

After rehabing:
zardoz991

Post by zardoz991 »

You mention "the clamshell works" is missing. I assume you mean a half nut. This machine does not have a half nut. There is no way to disengage the saddle from the leadscrew.
As far as what is behind the motor, there is nothing on this version of the machine.

Cheers

Kurt
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

zardoz991 wrote:You mention "the clamshell works" is missing. I assume you mean a half nut. This machine does not have a half nut. There is no way to disengage the saddle from the leadscrew.
As far as what is behind the motor, there is nothing on this version of the machine.

Cheers

Kurt
There has to be something or it would not move to make threads etc.
zardoz991

Post by zardoz991 »

There is a nut but it cannot be opened like the half nut on a Southbend lathe. What you have is standard on that model.
Instead of disengaging the saddle like on a conventional lathe you have to reverse the spindle and back the saddle up. Of course you would have to back the cross slide up (after each pass) so you don't damage the threads you had partially cut.

Kurt
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

These are some of the parts that came with the 3-In-1. Looks like the former owner, at one time, decided to and make his own reverse changer but then opted to add the CNC. (I'm really tired of cranking the handle!!!) Even if it worked I guess you would need a thread counter to start the second cut.