2.5" scale freight car wheels

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

JessVanWinkle

2.5" scale freight car wheels

Post by JessVanWinkle »

A group of us are going in together and getting iron wheels cast for various narrow gauge cars. We are preparing wheel patterns now with journal boxes to follow. If anyone would like these wheel castings please contact me. We do not have a price yet, but expect them to be comparable to what is currently available, depending on how many are cast. Hoping to get them cast early next year, right now would just would like to get an idea of the total number to tell the foundry.

These are spiral back that should machine to aprox 5.375" dia.
they are lettered Griffin Los Angeles, Griffin Tacoma (both common on West Side Lumber equipment), a genneric "Griffin", and Southern Pacific.

We are around 50 wheels right now- more just spreads the cost out further.

thanks,
Jess
Attachments
IMG_6324_1.JPG
IMG_6328_1.JPG
IMG_6332_2.JPG
FLSTEAM

Re: 2.5" scale freight car wheels

Post by FLSTEAM »

Jess

They look great.

Have any idea what the cost is going to be and how much each one will weigh?
When you say early next year...are we speaking Jan?
How thick will they be?

John B.
JessVanWinkle

Post by JessVanWinkle »

Thank you,

We will probably be using a different foundry and I am not sure how much they will work with us, so the price is unknown right now. I am expecting / hoping around $20 a piece or less. We don't need a firm commitment now of course, just an idea if there is interest in them and of how many we may be getting.

I expect them to weigh around 6-7 lbs?

I want to get the journal box paterns ready and done at the same time, so we will have a little delay to finish them. Would like to shoot for this winter, but it could possibly be spring.

The rough casting will be aprox. 1 1/4" wide, should clean up to 1 1/8" total width or a little more.
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

FYI I suggest you use USPS Priority Flat Rate to ship when done. You can ship 60 Lbs in a large flat rate box for about 16.00. I use it all the time. MY 2 cents worth. Nice castings by the way. I did lots of this years ago at a local foundry. They are no longer in business of course. The closest foundry now is about 60 miles away. They do stuff for Live Steam God. (ED Y.)
Bob......
JessVanWinkle

Post by JessVanWinkle »

Thanks Bob, will look into the flat rate shipping.

Also, difficult to tell from the pictures but the lettering is raised.
JessVanWinkle

Post by JessVanWinkle »

update on this project-
The foundry has the paterns now and is getting them mounted up next week, and should have them cast by April. Looks like the wheels will work out to $17.50 each. We are willing to add a few more sets to our order at this price. If anyone else is interested in these castings please let me know this week.

Thanks,
Jesse