Unobtainium Setscrews

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Unobtainium Setscrews

Post by gwrdriver »

I am still looking for some oddball setscrews - 1/4"-20NC, SS any alloy, cone or cup point, 3/4" length.
Need 4 pcs, will get 8 pcs if available to have spares. Will buy, barter, trade, etc.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
coal miner

Re: Unobtainium Setscrews

Post by coal miner »

Try this from McMaster-Carr .

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=fnx5bf
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Bingo! Thanks.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

1/4-20 set screws are a very common size. 1/4-20 is a National Coarse standard size. I would not recommend stainless steel setscrews unless the application requires corrosion resistance. Stainless steel is softer then alloy steel setscrews.
Another suggestion is if you can, use two short setscrews rather then one long setscrew in the same tapped hole. the first setscrew locks the part. the second setscrew tightened against the first setscrew locks the first screw and keeps it from ever loosening.
Just remember when you ever have to take the connection apart, there are two setscrews in the same hole.
If you can not obtain them locally send me your address and I will mail some to you.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Howard,
It's the 3/4" length in SS that up until now I hadn't been able to find. I think this is what I would prefer, but the double screw suggestion might also do the job. These are for retaining within a smokebox and I didn't want to leave their tapped holes exposed so that nothing could accumulate in them and the screws could always be withdrawn easily.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Harry, if it is in the smokebox I would NOT use stainless steel. Stainless in contact with carbon steel will seize, especially in the presence of sulfuric acid and heat. Use carbon steel set screws and coat them liberally with Nevr-Seez. I am speaking from experience, both in smokeboxes and a chemical (acid) plant. Stainless steel touching carbon steel is inviting corrosion.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Marty, would ss be safe down in the chassis side frames?
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If SS is the heart's desire (not recommended), then Never-Seize is the cure. Goop them up good and they will be OK for a long time.

As others have said - I wouldn't do it either.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

What about thread locking? Does this stuff do that?
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

No, it is the OPPOSITE of thread locking.

it makes sure that you CAN get stainless stuff apart in the future.

totally incompatible with thread locking compounds, so please don't think of combining.

best was to lock SS so that you CAN get it apart later is to double nut / screw it (as described) or center punch the threads or some other mechanical means.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Thanks for everyone's input. Despite what some of you might think my mind can still be joggled and in thinking about this further I realized that there's no reason to cling to using a single setscrew when a pair two will do the job I want done, and I can find those just round the corner. Might be stainless, might not, might have anti-seize goop, might not, but either way pairs will do the job.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Howard,
I meant to send you a thank you before now for offering to send me a few set screws. The gesture is much appreciated. I'm headed out this afternoon to see what I can find at one of our two local bolt & screw houses (only TWO in a market area of 1.5 million people!)
Regards,
Harry
Howard Gorin wrote:If you can not obtain them locally send me your address and I will mail some to you.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN