.22 Hornet Revolver

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

nipperdog

.22 Hornet Revolver

Post by nipperdog »

I would like to modify a 6" revolver to fire the .22 Hornet. Has anybody successfully done something like that.
alphawolf45

Re: .22 Hornet Revolver

Post by alphawolf45 »

Would not the expansion of the necked cartridge tend to want to jam the cartridge head against the recoil shield?...Well it isnt much of a neck though is it.
Certainly could be built and I would like to see the pictures and hear the user report.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Couple things... isn't the jacketed slug at .224" somewhat bigger than the cast-lead .22 RF slug? Wouldn't that make for a tight fit (and correspondingly higher pressures) in a .22 RF barrel ? Seems I remember hearing this, oh, 40-50 years ago.

Also, the Hornet's primarily a rifle cartridge, so shooting it out of a 6" barrel would likely cost you in muzzle velocity, unless you handloaded with hotter powders.

Just my tuppenny'orth.
Pete in NJ
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

lets see a 22 hornet is rated at 40,000 cup pressure rating and a 22 rimfire is rated at 10,000 psi ( i am too lazy to do the conversion

PSI to CUP
=((PSI)+17902)/1.516

i would want a very strong action like a contender for that conversion but a pistol would prove interesting because of setback if nothing else .
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Heres a very good article about the tapered or shouldered case setting back and binding the cylinder and how that has been overcome in recent offerings.....

http://www.magnumresearch.com/news_deta ... imes04.asp
nipperdog

Post by nipperdog »

alphawolf45 wrote:Heres a very good article about the tapered or shouldered case setting back and binding the cylinder and how that has been overcome in recent offerings.....

http://www.magnumresearch.com/news_deta ... imes04.asp
Thanks for the link. The article was very informative concerning the .22H in a revolver. I had planned to use a K frame as my platform, however after reading why the earlier revolvers locked up after firing a tapered case and the solution used for modern day hornet revolvers I may have to reconsider the idea. Thanks again for providing the info that I was looking for..........Lew
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I think Thompson-Center already makes the Contender in .22 Hornet. Might be cheaper to buy one, than to build something.
Pete in NJ
nipperdog

Post by nipperdog »

PeteH wrote:I think Thompson-Center already makes the Contender in .22 Hornet. Might be cheaper to buy one, than to build something.
Had several TCs through the years but really wanted to build a revolver. I'm not a big fan of Taurus but may have to go with theirs.
Wayne Shaw

Post by Wayne Shaw »

Many years ago I knew a guy that got a "blank" Ruger cylinder and made just such a revolver, 22 Hornet. He used cast bullets and not loaded very hot if I recall, but it never hung up from case setback that I saw. I shot it a fair amount, no problems. Too many years ago before I payed a lot of "smith" attention to it.
SilveradoHauler

Post by SilveradoHauler »

Lysle Kilborn, father of the K Hornet in 1947.

He used a S&W 22 revolver, don't know the model. Maybe K-22?

K-Hornet chambering gets rid of the sloped case problem.

The boys at Remington did not read the history books when they brought out the 22 Jet. Designed for failure!
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

O.K.--what would be the advantage of a .22 Hornet in a 6 inch barrel vs, a .22 Rimfire Magnum cartridge in the same length barrel? BTW_Frank DeHaas had a bunch of .22 wildcat revolver cartridges to his credit. See "Guns" magazine, April 1960.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Wayne Shaw

Post by Wayne Shaw »

Why? Well even way back then, my friend was all about getting by on his own. Casting bullets, of course reloading, and even making his own black powder if need be (I don't think he did, but he knew how to). But with the Hornet, you can load it down to a rim fire level or punch it up some. Very cheap to shoot too.

By the way, a primer is the key. No primer, no shoot. If you're going to stock up on something, make it primers.