Swivel base- worth it?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Long Tom

Swivel base- worth it?

Post by Long Tom »

Hi folks.

Got a new Kurt D688 and it wouldn't suck to have swivel capability. I'm hesitant, though, because I have a 10" rotary table for anything requiring rotary precision, and I'm not sure how often I'd be doing things that DON'T require precision, if that makes sense!

So two questions por favor. First, what's the thinking on swivel bases- good thing to have, or gimmick... and second, anyone know if the Glacern swivel base for their 6" vice will fit my Kurt? They seem unsure when asked.

(Glacern is $120, Kurt $240)
Jose Rivera

Re: Swivel base- worth it?

Post by Jose Rivera »

I got my vise with a rotating table, but I have never used it.
Like you, the indexing head is way far better.
Rotating bases are mostly used for angle cutting, but it can be achieved with a protractor and clamping that vise with finger claps.

Take into consideration also that lifting the cutting surface by adding a roto-base, you will loose steadiness and it may introduce chatter.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
stevec

Post by stevec »

Well, following Harold's advice I removed mine, after realizing I hadn't used it but once or twice since I bought it,(gotta be 10-15 yrs.).
I like the less cluttered look around the table/vise base, and if I need to remove it, it's a lot lighter

There's more room between the spindle and the work, but I haven't run into any problems on my Tree 2UVR yet. (maybe I need bigger projects?).

Down side is, Now I have to make the speed handle I've been wanting to make for years 'cause the swivel handle dings the cross feed handwheel.
And I have no excuse for not making keys to allow me to remount it without needing the DI on the jaws, right? (Harold, you did say I wouldn't need to indicate it every time I put it back on the table if I had keys, didn't you? eh?)
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I removed my swivel plate off my 6" vise when I got it.
I've never put it back on, and it's still on a shelf under one of my benches, still gathering dust. I better look...it might be pretty deep after all this time....

I thought it would be handy to have, and it may be for someone, but hasn't been for me.
When I bought a smaller vise, I didn't bother with the swivel.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Long Tom

Post by Long Tom »

I think you guys are reinforcing my gut- which says I don't need a swivel base.
Last edited by Long Tom on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

I have a Kurt clone and have never used mine. Keep your eye out for a second hand one to throw under the bench, but I wouldn't pay the price for a new one.

Dave
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

stevec wrote:(Harold, you did say I wouldn't need to indicate it every time I put it back on the table if I had keys, didn't you? eh?)
Where I was trained, keys were not permitted on vises. Each operator was required to dial in the vise. That was a habit that followed me until I started my own shop and ended up with a small Kurt vise. I tried putting it on the table and discovered that it would locate, consistently, within less than a half thou. The fixed jaw had about that much error (not dead flat), so I considered it more than adequate for almost all the work I did. Note that my T slots are not badgered, which makes a huge difference. So then, assuming you locate off one side of the keys each time you install the vise, yes, you should be able to trust the keys. I would suggest you give it a go more than once, to verify that yours works as well as mine does.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Harold, I do intend to verify registration by the keyes that I WILL make, honest, I promise, (my road well travelled, is the one paved with good intentions) at least the first few times I re-install the vise.
Thanks again,
Steve
Steamin

Post by Steamin »

I've found my swivel base to be a 'nice to have when you need it' -- for angle milling. I may only need it once or twice a year. I can't speak to whether a Glacern will fit a Kurt. If given the option of a Glacern with swivel or a Kurt without, I'd take the Kurt.
stevec

Post by stevec »

I got around to solving the problem of my Kurt Klone vise handle hitting my crossfeed handwheel.
Mill vise handwwwheel1.JPG
The handwheel came out of inventory
Mill vise handwwwheel2.JPG
I pressed in a sacrificed cheapo ¾" socket I machined down and cut off
Mill vise handwwwheel3.JPG
and made a crank handlehandle more or less "freehand"
It works real smooth and going from full closed to full open is a dream compared to the old handle.
which I'll still need it for "cranking down" the vise prior to machining but we'll see how it goes.
The keys are next, I promise.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Just an update on using the "handwheel" to tighten the vise.
I've done several jobs using only the handwheel and it seems to provide enough leverage to tighten my Kurt Klone adequately . Nothing extremely heavy, but my average jobs.
The only problem, and it's insignificant, with having removed the swivel base is, that the table is now slightly higher, for jobs at vise jaw height.
Still haven't made the "keys" to index the vise to the table yet.
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

If your mill is CNC, you'll most likely NEVER use the swivel base. When I got my vises, the first thing I did was remove the swivel bases and throw them in the trash. If you use a swivel base, just remember, it's a lot of extra weight if you have to lift the vise.

I use two or three 3 inch vises on my Tormach PCNC1100. If the parts I look at are too big to fit in a 3 inch vise, then they are too big for me to do. Actually, if I can't hold a dozen parts in one hand, they are too big for me.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.