Newbie - How to Adjust Gibbs?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

TheReck

Newbie - How to Adjust Gibbs?

Post by TheReck »

Hi Everyone, I've been reading this forum for sometime since I got my Maximat V10-P. I'm in the process of adjusting it so that everything is reasonably tight. The Gibb on the cross slide moves in and out of the keeper when I move it in and out. It is harder to move one direction than the other. Can someone explain the proper procedure to setup and adjust a Gibb way?

Thanks!
Torch

Re: Newbie - How to Adjust Gibbs?

Post by Torch »

TheReck wrote:Hi Everyone, I've been reading this forum for sometime since I got my Maximat V10-P. I'm in the process of adjusting it so that everything is reasonably tight. The Gibb on the cross slide moves in and out of the keeper when I move it in and out. It is harder to move one direction than the other. Can someone explain the proper procedure to setup and adjust a Gibb way?

Thanks!
Is this a tapered gib? So that the head of a screw on the handwheel end engages a slot ground in the edge of the gib and slides it in and out such that the taper takes up the play?

If so, there should also be another screw on the back side. It does not engage a slot, it merely acts as a stop. What I like to do is move the cross-slide all the way forward, loosen the rear screw and adjust the front screw for a light drag as it is wound inwards (keeping the screw head against the inboard edge of the slot). Then I use the rear screw as a lock, snugging it up against the back of the gib. Now the gib is locked in place and can't shift back and forth.

All that said, when I first got the machine I had a heck of a time with it. Then I discovered that the dang slot was not ground square to the gib. It was on a slight angle so it tried to ride up and over the screw head. I used a Dremel to very carefully square the slot and I made a new screw with a slightly larger, thicker head. That sucker can't escape me now!
TheReck

Post by TheReck »

I haven't disassembled it, but I don't believe it is tapered. This has only one cap screw pressing on the side of the gibb, not the end. It also has a series of small set screws along the length of the gibb parallel to the cap screw.

I believe the cap screw is supposed to keep the gibb from sliding back and forth, but it needs to be tightened too tight in order to work properly.
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello TheReck,

Perhaps I can shed a bit of light on this - I have a Maximat V10P.

The one 'cap-screw' in the middle is supposed to lock up the compound to the carriage - if yours isn't working without really cranking it down, it likely is missing the ball bearing at the contact point.

The other setscrews with the locking nuts should be tightened from the center out, making them tight enough to lock up then backing off perhaps 1/8th turn and locking it down with the lock nut.

Setting gib screws takes a bit of time and one might almost call it an art, but with a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it.

I'd also suggest you join the Yahoo! group, emcoV10lathe. There are all kinds of manuals and information in the file section and some very astute owners that can address any of your questions.

BTW - what condition is your lathe? If it's in decent shape you have one of the better 10" lathes that is capable of some very precision work.

Any specific questions please feel free to contact me with a PM.

All the best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
TheReck

Post by TheReck »

Thanks Mike, that does help. Should I assume that after the set screws are adjusted properly, the gibb should no longer move in an out of the carrier?

My lathe is not in mint condition by any means. It seems to be tight and all the gearing is good, but the ways have some rough marks, and the worst part is it was dropped - bending both the carriage feed screw and the cross feed screw. I've done my best to straighten the carriage feed screw, but haven't tackled the cross feed screw yet. My next challenge is to get a tool holder that will work properly. The one that came with it is a very small 4 way that will not allow me to get a tool to the edge of the collet holder, so I'm looking at an AXA quick change swap. It doesn't have the milling attachment either (bummer). I paid $600 for it site unseen from a relative. Didn't know about the bend screws and don't think he did either. I hope it wasn't a waste of $$.
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello TheReck,

The gib should not be moving in and out of the carrier - although i'm not sure what you mean by that. If it is extending out beyond the ends of the compound, something is wrong.

I'd suggest you download the manual (or send me a PM and I'll send you a copy in pdf) to get an idea of how it's set up.

Insofar as paying $600 for it - that's a steal! These things regularly go into the thousands dependent on tooling, accessories, condition, and in the worst case (absolutely WORST CASE!) you could part it out and get more than twice that, but I'd suggest you replace the lead screws where bent/damaged with standard Acme in the appropriate size.

For a toolholder you might want to check out the Omni-Post. I'm not sure the AXA is the correct size as it depends on the necessary tool height to be on center - be sure you check that out.

All the best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
Torch

Post by Torch »

I'm looking at an online parts diagram of the cross-slide now. It looks like there is a ground notch in the gib that engages the second set screw from the front. I gather the idea is that screw carries the gib as the cross-slide moves in and out.

And you are right -- that is definitely not a tapered gib. Fortunately there's some people here who actually know what they are talking about, so I'll shut up now.
TheReck

Post by TheReck »

Torch,

Thank you for your input. I will check into the notch to make sure the second set screw is engaging it properly. Don't shut up, because you never know, it just might be you who has the "been there done that" that someone needs.

TheReck