Reversing switch wiring how to question.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dly31

Re: Reversing switch wiring how to question.

Post by dly31 »

OLDBEAR, you have been given a lot of very good information by Webb, as usual. From your comment about buying a 'single phase' motor i think you may not realize that a 'split phase' motor is one kind of a 'single phase' motor. There are several others including 'capacitor start', 'capacitor start/capacitor run', 'permanent split capacitor', 'shaded pole', 'repulsion induction', and probably others. Just another wonder of the English language, it would seem that something 'split' would not be 'single', just going by the words alone.
Don Young
OLDBEAR

Post by OLDBEAR »

Well I would like to show my appreciation for that information. It is very much appreciated. I will not be buying another motor anytime soon UNLESS I burn this one up. Thanks for the information on motor terminology. I will listen to any information you guys send my way. Bill.
www.chaski.com
OLDBEAR

Post by OLDBEAR »

Greetings all, I have purchased some wire to tie this Furnas switch to the Sears Craftsman motor. I have mounted the switch on base that is movable (separate from the bench) currently on a metal stand. My question is how long can the wire be from switch to motor?
Attachments
MY LATHE SWITCH 1.jpg
www.chaski.com
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The answer is; pretty much as long as you want. Assuming you are using 14 G or larger wire, any number of feet to get the switch to convenient location is fine. 16 G might be iffy, and anything smaller than 16 G should be avoided.
OLDBEAR

Post by OLDBEAR »

Thanks Russ, I am using 12 AWG which is eight feet long. That should give me all the options imaginable to place the switch where I need it. Bill.
www.chaski.com